1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Stoeger trap gun

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Colonel Reb, Mar 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Colonel Reb

Colonel Reb TS Member

Tried to order one one time and it never came in, so I had to get an 870CT instead. I probably will buy one at some point if they become more plentiful. Their side-by-sides are OK, so the O/U can't be bad. I'm sure it's no Citori, but no one is expecting it to be for that price.

2. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Seen them, held them but not shot them but do know a few who did buy and shoot them so all I can give is a second hand opinion on them.

Shooter "A" liked the one he bought so much he tried his best to fix the trigger and firing pin problems himself but when he couldn't keep it working he bought another one.

Shooter "B" took shooter "A's" recommendations do highly he bought one as well and thought it was the best gun he owned. (previously he was shooting a Mossberg 500) When he began to have problems with his shooter "A" did his best to keep it shooting.

By the end of last summer Shooter "A" had bought 2 of them and Shooter "B" got smart and only had bought one. Shooter "B" replaced his failing Stoeger with a Spartan he bought from Dicks and had now convinced shooter "A" is was a great alternative to the Stoeger. Shooter "A" agreed and bought a Spartan and they both began shooting again together.

So far this spring both of there Spartans are acting up and they are already trying to diagnosis the problems so they can fix them and continue shooting. They took it pretty bad a week or so ago when some of the other shooters gave them the title of President and Vice President of the Cheap Gun Society, it seems they really did not enjoy to be know that way but for what each of them has spent on there cheap guns both of them could have gotten a far far better used or even an entry level new gun and never really have to worry if its going to start acting up in just a couple of months.

BTW both shooters bought there first Stoegers about April last year so take this small tidbit of advice and save your money because chances are all your going to buy is a cheap disposable gun that you will not be happy with and will be looking for a replacement for in just a couple of months. Save yourself the hassel and get something that will last.

3. Colonel Reb

Colonel Reb TS Member

Mr. Newbius it sounds like these people bought the Stoegers for dedicated all the time trap guns for shooting lots of rounds. If you are a serious trap shooter shooting that much, then, no, you shouldn't get a Stoeger and should get a "B" brand over/under or a Remington trap gun at least. For part-time fun, though, I think they are OK. I don't have any experience with the O/U, but the Stoeger side by side is a very popular cowboy action shotgun that works fine. Of course, you only shoot a box or two at a cowboy match, where you shoot 4 boxes for a trap match. The Spartans are tough as nails mechanically, I've never heard of them not working--the wood is crappy though.

4. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Each has there own opinions but from what I have seen of them shooting 4 to 8 rounds a week they shot less 4000 rounds before having firing pin, firing pin spring and trigger problems and were replacing them by the time they had about 5000 round threw them. The Remington Spartans are going along about the same as the Stoegers were and ... well ... at this point if they had bought Beretta 686 Onyx models for the $1300 & Gander or the Franchi's for about $1000 @ Dicks to begin with they both would have spent less than now and not had any problems that they have had. I'm still shocked that these 2 shooters have admitted they would have been better off just spending a few dollars more in the beginning but they still are looking for CHEAP since they dont want to spend allot of money.

One thing to remember about Spartans is the stamp on the bottom will also tell you the year they were made. One was made in 05 and the other in 06 so saying they are tough as nails is not saying to much ... they are cheap guns that are made cheaply to compete with the other cheap guns on the market and those who shoot skeet, trap or anything other than a couple 100 rounds at dove every year will get what they pay for when buying a cheap gun.

When Spartans first came out I to was thinking of there SPR310S gun since it was more of a sporting model but when I actually got my hands on one and ... well ... from what I have seen first hand with them I am glad I stayed away from them.

5. LUGNUTZ426

LUGNUTZ426 TS Member

IF YOU ARE TALKIN BOUT THE STOEGAR COMP MODEL...IT IS A SPORTING/SKEET GUN.NOT REALLY A TRAP GUN. ALL STOEGAR O/U USE THE SAME SOFT METAL ON THEIR MECHANICAL PARTS. MY SON WORE ONE OUT IN A FEW MONTHS OF SKEET SHOOTING. I TRIED A COMP MODEL FOR TRAP ONCE. WITH THE COMB WAY UP IT SHOT HIGH ENOUGH TO BE A RESONABLE
    CHEAP TRAP GUN. I WOULD BUY 2 OF THEM FROM DAVIDSONS WHO GIVE A LIFETIME GUARANTEE. WHEN ONE IS BEING RE-BUILT YOU CAN SHOOT THE OTHER! THE OTHER PROBLEM IS YOU GET NO RESPECT FROM OTHER SHOOTERS AND MAY EVEN A LITTLE RIBBING.

FOR THE SAME MONEY I WOULD BUY A NICE USED 1100 OR 1187 TRAP AND JUST RELAX AND SHOOT.

6. dverna

dverna Active Member

Stoeger does not make a trap gun.

It may look like one, and even be named as such - but it is a piece of junk.

If inexpensive is the goal the 1100 is a good gun. For a bit more money a Beretta 391 or BT-99

There is no "cheap" O/U that will endure the number of rounds we typically shoot.

don

7. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Don that was very hard . Some place a guy is crying after your hard words .

8. Colonel Reb

Colonel Reb TS Member

Yeah, 4 to 8 rounds a week is pretty serious and needs a serious gun. If they were going to do that much for cheap, the Remington 870 CT would fill the bill quite nicely.

9. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

A fellow new to shooting came to the range about 3 weeks ago with a Condor bought at Dicks , made in Brazil I think . We told him that this type of O/U is not too reliable as a trap gun . Sure enough , he didn`t get through his first box of shells ( about 15 shells ) when the it failed . The cocking mechanism didn`t work so he finished the round with an 870 that someone lent him and then he went back to Dick`s but he`s never come around again so I don`t know what they did for him . We told him to demand his money back and buy a real gun -- as we said before he shot that first round .

10. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I tried to order one through Dicks when they first opened, LH model. After 4months I cancelled my order and usewd my deposit on ammo? Dont know who dropped the ball Dicks or Stoeger?

11. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Back in the 70's or thereabouts Stoeger ahad a single barrel import that was very nice. Case hardened receiver, Greener crossbolt, the works.

I don't know who made them but I would buy one today.

The new stuff doesnt even make a good boat anchor.

HM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
stoeger coach gun replacement firing pin

stoeger trap gun

stoeger trap gun junk

stoeger trap guns
stoger trap gun
stoger trap guns
stougertrapguns
when did stoger import franchi