1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

stoeger slt 3000 quality

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by a budine, Oct 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. a budine

a budine Member

Dick's is selling the Stoeger made, imported by Benelli, SLT 3000 o/u field gun for a modest price of $350.00 I'm looking for a fairly light field gun - are these guns of reasonable quality??

2. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Cheap + O/U = Disappointment.

3. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

Wolf is correct! Jake

4. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

They're hit or miss.

If you don't mind average to poor fit & finish, and a trigger that feels like a Daisy red rider, you'll be fine.

Don't expect to be dazzled.

Go to the Stoeger website and look through their forum there to see the laundry list of problems. Most notably, the safety on some has an annoying tendency to re-engage after the first shot, not allowing a second shot until you move the safety forward again. Quite inconvenient.

All that being said, I have had one since 2001, and it has worked pretty well for me. I have used it for skeet (until I got a good gun) and hunting, and have probably put 4,000 or more rounds through it. Killed a lot of pheasants with it.

Had a couple of things that needed to be fixed, but generally, its worked out OK for me.

Would I buy one again? Probably not. There are better guns.

But if all you have is $350 and you absolutley MUST have an over/under, your options are pretty limited to the Stoeger, and a few other entry level brands.

5. billn

billn Member

I have a 20 ga 28" barrel, O/U Stoeger Condor, I use for Rabbit hunting and doves, shot it a lot, no problems yet, it has a poor trigger, but for what it used for, its a good gun. I haven't had any safety problems as stated above. I guess I just lucked out so far? If it gets a scratch on the stock, I don't care. It kills just like a 1000 dollar gun. I think I paid somewhere about 300 for it?

We have severl people at the gun club that bought the Mossberg O/U and they are getting rid of them, because they have had problems with them. I think I shot the Stoger more then they shot the Mossbergs.

6. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

For a good knock around gun you can't beat it. I am a Benelli, Franchi, and Stoeger dealer and I have sent more Benelli's back to the factory than Stoegers. In 5 years as a dealer I have sent a total of 4 guns back, 3 of which were Benelli's. I sell as many Stoeger 2000 autos as I do Benelli's auto but back to the o/u. I have three personally that I use now as loaner guns for folks who visit me. One is a combo 12/20 ga which I put almost 15,000 round through with nary, I repeat, Nary a problem. I have a 410 o/u with about 7000 rounds with nary a problem. Yes, they aren't the prettiest thing around but I have found them very servicable. We also carry most other brands priced $2000.00 or less and most returns that I get are auto pistols. Last week while visiting Knoxville, Tn I went into a Dick's store and looked at that line of guns(these are not in the standard dealer list) and actually found them to be pretty good as far as fit and finish. It's a given that I only looked at 5 or 6 guns. So if you decide to get one, get them to bring out three so you can look them over as some have much prettier wood and you can choose. Jackie B.

7. LUGNUTZ426

LUGNUTZ426 TS Member

IT IS A CONDOR WITH A FEW COSMETIC UPGRADES AND EXTENDED CHOKES. I HAD ONE
    AND HAD 2 PROBLEMS, INTERMITTANT MISFIRE ON BOTTOM BARREL (LIGHT HIT ON PRIMER)
    AND HARD TO CLOSE WHEN HOT. SENT IT BACK, WORKED FOR ANOTHER FEW THOUSAND ROUNDS.DEVELOPED MISFIRE AGAIN. I DUMPED IT AFTER LOOKING INSIDE RECEIVER AND SEEING METAL FILINGS FROM SOFT METAL PARTS THAT WERE WEARING OUT AGAIN. TRIGGER WAS LOUSEY. IT DID SHOOT WHERE YOU POITED IT HOWEVER. I WOULD BUY A CONDOR FOR FIELD USE BECAUSE I WOULD NOT CRY IF I DROPPED IT OFF A CLIFF. NEVER AGAIN FOR TARGET USE. YOU MIGHT CONSIDER THE RUSSIAN REMINGTONS. I HAVE 3 FRIENDS WHO SHOOT THE HELL OUT OF THEM AND HAVE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM. FIT AND FINISH NEED A LITTLE TLC, BUT THEY ARE BUILT STRONG.

8. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I will secound the remington/baikal/spartan. Exactly what they are designed for. Field use.

9. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

only source I could find. You could also try EAA out of florida.

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

The actual cost of manufacturing the gun must be around $250 or less. That would only leave $100 for transportation, manufacturer, importer and retailer profit. I have great difficulty figuring out how an O/U could be made for such little money.

I will buy real estate when I can find it at a price I am willing to pay. But, if someone offered to sell me a house for $20,000, I would look with much skepticism at the offer.

Pat Ireland

11. 5spd

5spd TS Member

Any Firearm that says Stoeger on it would be better off in the trash can.
    Not worth the trouble. All my probems were listed on Stoeger site and other shotgun forums.

12. Steve-CT

Steve-CT TS Member

I just bought a Stoeger Condor in 20 guage as a test gun for my wife to shoot doubles because I can't get a suitable shell deflector for her Remington 1100 LT-20.

I paid $180 for it. I don't expect it to be in the same league with a high end O/U. My wife MIGHT shoot doubles once or twice this year and that's it..

It shoots fine and I have researched other forums, particularly www.shotgunworld.com and the Condor, overall is a hell of a bargain and a good gun for the money. No, it isn't meant to shoot thousands of rounds in competition. Yes, it gets a little stiff to open after 100 shots - It's made in Brazil and costs about the same as two flats of Federal papers that I can shoot in one weekend.

There are condor owners on shotgunworld.com who've gone 7,000 rounds with Condors and no problems. There are Beretta, Browning and Perazzi owners with problems after a very short time.

For a cheap, workable occasional extra field gun, or spare gun to introduce a new shooter to the sport - they're fine.

The biggest drawback is no barrel selector.

13. Mike-n-CA

Mike-n-CA Member

I purchased a used 28 inch, 12 ga condor for 285.00 around 6 - 8 months ago and routinely put 1,000 rounds thru it a month shooting trap. Never had a problem and felt it was the best 285 bucks I ever spent. Originally, the automatic safety resetting each time the gun was opened and resetting between the upper and lower barrels firing was a PITA and restricted me from shooting doubles or skeet. I had someone send me a fix for it and even tho for someone mechanically inclined it would have been an easy fix, I took it to my local gunsmith and for $ 35.00 had him turn the auto set safety into a manual set safety. I have recently replaced this gun with one more geared to trap, but my son loves to shoot it and I'll keep it. It was an inexpensive way for me to get into O/U shooting and I feel it was money well spent. I'm extremely satisfied with the gun, tho I may have just been lucky.
    Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

stoeger slt3000

trap shooting stoeger 3000