1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Stoeger side by side coach gun

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ColBuckShot, Oct 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ColBuckShot

ColBuckShot TS Member

Col here confused again, you guys have helped me before so im asking here even though this is not a trap gun.
    Just bought a new Stoeger side by side coach gun.
    When breaking open its a little tight but not unusually so for a new gun. However when I use a couple of snap caps or spent shells it becomes next to impossible to open. Once I do and just go back to opening and closing without working the triggers its the same as before not that hard to open.
    Can anyone tell me what makes it so hard to open when working the triggers.

2. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

If it is one of the models with exposed hammers then the problem could be the firing pins are still contacting the shell/cap. Try recocking or half cocking the hammers before opening the gun. If it opens okay this way then take it to the range and try live ammo. The recoil should set the hammer(s) back enough to get pins to retract.

3. ColBuckShot

ColBuckShot TS Member

The gun does not have external hammers. Also the firing pins dont show (protrude) when opening the gun. Please advise I appriciate the help.

4. ColBuckShot

ColBuckShot TS Member

Also i did cut short the pin that sets the safety on each time.

5. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Col, I think your gun has ejectors not extractors and the springs on them are too strong. Yours may be a model that you can reset and use just as extractors and will open a lot easier. Be sure to lubricate the hinge pin good as some of them are really tight. I've sold several of the coach guns that were tight like that. Jackie B.

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    If it's a side by side shotgun intended for cowboy shoots it must, under SASS rules, have extractors, not automatic ejectors, or be able to be set to extraction only.<br>
    <br>
    Mention was made that it was overly difficult to open when testing with snap caps or spent shells. Has live ammo been put through this gun yet? And if so, what did it do? I'm assuming the spent shells are from another gun?

7. ColBuckShot

ColBuckShot TS Member

The gun has extractors not ejectors and is to be used for Cowboy Action Shooting. I have not as yet fired live shells, will do this weekend.

8. ColBuckShot

ColBuckShot TS Member

Im finding out to cock the hammers the presure needed is what the cause is.
    Does anyone have an idea on how to lighten up the presure needed to cock the internal hammers. Smooth something out or shorten a small section of the hammer springs?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

recocking stoeger coach gun

side by side shotgun hard to open

stoeger coach gun hard to cock

stoeger coach gun hard to open after firing

stoeger coachgun snapcaps

stoger side by sise firing pins