1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Stoeger shotgun ??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by southjblue, Dec 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Need feedback about Stoeger Shotguns---I'm told they're good for the price--SJB

2. open choke

open choke TS Member

The stocks crack easy and I've heard nothing good.

The 512 Stevens Goldwing is a tiny bit better for the money. I know a guy who uses it for peasants but that's not the same volume of shooting if you're gonna be shooting a lot of trap/skeet

3. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

only one I've seen is a suthetic stocked pumpgun...was pretty decent for the money

4. SPACE GUN

SPACE GUN Member

will not hold up long in trapshooting. I know two guys that own them and they are both worn out with out alot of rounds being shot with them

5. GW22

GW22 Active Member

You're familiar with the term "cheesy," right? Well, that term originated with Stoeger shotguns. The receivers are machined from actual cheese.

-Gary :p

6. Uncle Screech

Uncle Screech Member

Stoeger was my first trap gun. I most definetly got my monies worth out of it, I was taught the fundementals using it, had my first 25 straight with it. I learned a lot with that gun. They aren't the most well made, aren't made with the best materials and the design isn't the greatest. But I was able to put 15,000+ rounds down it and when I had a problem with it I didn't have to argue with Stoeger to fix it, they were actually very accomodating and repaired it quickly.

Knowing what I know now I would spend a few more bucks and get something better, an SKB or a BT-99, something in that range. But I also won't trade those memories I have either.

Don't expect too much from it, do expect to buy another, better trap gun within a year, use it as a training aid.

Greg

7. dds4horse

dds4horse Member

Bought stoeger at gun show the guy said best trap gun ever 26' barrel 12 ga. I got home and noticed I had fool written on my forehead. Must say never broke and I still use it for an occasional round of skeet. Hey Greg how are you long time no see thought I'd see you at monroe, oscar suski

8. X2 fan

X2 fan Active Member

They kick like a mule. I only have one because I won it in a raffle for $20. I would pheasant hunt with it, maybe. I will use it for some skeet and sporties.

Tim

9. macttom

macttom Member

SJB,

I have a 30" " compitetion " came with ported bbls and extended choke tubes. I bought it as a who cares gun to hunt with and for that, at $ 500.00 it ain't too bad.

I did put a merc. reducer in the stock and that really smoothed things out.

I have shot several rounds of wobble with it to try to get used to the pull trigger.

For its purpose it is not bad, I would not try to shoot trap for a living with it

Merry Christmas,

Tom

10. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Tom---I was inquiring for a friend that is up-set with his SX3 with the high POI---Someone put him on to the Stoeger for hunting---What is your's cambered at---I'll pass it on to him----SJB

11. bobbi

bobbi TS Member

I bought a compitetion combo 30" to start shooting Trap/skeet/sporting clays.
    Don't waste your money.The gun kicked like a mule. The center rib came off during a round of trap. I would recommend a used Rem 1100 classic trap or a beretta 391 if you want to shoot all 3 clay games for a reasonable price. RB

12. tsosin

tsosin TS Member

Junk. Buy a Remington 870 for under 300.00, add moleskin to raise the stock and learn to shoot the game. Along the way try every gun that's offered and then decide what you want. My experience is that most shooters are willing to let you shoot their guns, if your careful and appear to know what you're doing.

13. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

Made in Turkey. Enough said!

14. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

My friend is NOT looking for a trap gun---Hunting only---Probably won't put 50 rounds a yr through it----He has a SX3 now that has a very high POI---Only needs a knock around since he is always in very rough terrene---SJB

15. GW22

GW22 Active Member

For that purpose, I'd suggest considering a good used pump gun. Ithaca Featherlight is a classic, and can be readily bought used for under $300. An 870 could be had for $350-400. Either will outlast a half dozen Stoegers, even giving them a 40 year head start.

-Gary

16. rmueller

rmueller Member

I own the O/U Competition version, it has the adjustable comb; it was my first O/U. Nothing wrong with the gun (pull trigger it goes bang), like the other guy; shot my first 25 and 50 with it (and many more).

For a trap gun, it shoots low out of the box with only adjusting the comb. I like the bird over the top of the front bead. Gotta cover the bird to smoke em. I did put an adjustable butt plate/recoil pad; much better now.

I shoot it from time to time, just to put in me in a back to basics frame of mind.

If I had it to do over again, I would not have bought the gun. I would have gone with the Beretta I shoot now right away and redirected the $600 or so to the Beretta.

ron

17. capt jay

capt jay Member

The 3500 got Best Gun 2012 NRA...I Think you can look it up

18. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Well, first off, if anyone could be shooting a Perazzi for pheasant hunting it would be me. I don't, but I DO shoot a Stoeger 2000 auto, and half of the other guys in our group shoot them as well.

Reasons for shooting the Stoegers are: (1) they are cheap, (2) they can get beat-up and we don't worry about it, (3) they are brutes and shoot in the snow, rain, dirt, etc., and theior recoil system is NOT determined by gas,. They are a "poor man's" Benelli and appear to have some parts in common.

I think I bought 7-8 of the 2000 for our group and then made shot extension tubes for them on the lathe. In SD there is no restrictions of number of shells in the gun for pheasants.

I have a back-up gun that is a Beretta 390 Super Trap that I converted to a synthetic stock and then fiberglassed it to be a high shooting trap stock. Several of us trapshooters did the same thing to the Stoegers as well.

The Stoegers have choke tubes, and that makes it great for conditions and ability to change patterns as determined by the time/length of the season, and how squirrely the birds are.

I don't think you'd be unhappy with one of these, except now the price has increased quite a bit from when they first came out.

WW

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
stoeger 3500 most popular trap choke
stoeger choke forum
stoeger shotgun forums

stoeger trap gun junk

stoeger trap shotguns
stoger 3500 most popular trap choke