1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Stoeger M3500 for trap

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by rebeldog1, Mar 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rebeldog1

rebeldog1 TS Member

I just bought a Stoeger M3500 semi-auto chambered for 3 1/2 inch magnum and everything except light load(less than 3dram)target 23/4 12ga.Anyone here ever try one of these for trap or other clay targets?I've read various things about breaking it in with heavy magnum loads first or it may not operate properly with target loads.It is an inertia operated gun like a Benelli,not gas operated like most semi-autos.Haven't tried it yet,any advice would be appreciated.

2. oletymer

oletymer Member

It needs a shell catcher or you may find no one will want to shoot with you. If you get even semi serious it is not a good choice for trap shooting.

3. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Just do the rubberband trick to stop your spent hull from flying and let'er rip..let us know how you make out and a few pics wouldn't hurt either

4. rebeldog1

rebeldog1 TS Member

I just ordered a shell catcher from Gamaliel Shooting Supply,couldn't find a clip-on style like I had on my 1100 years ago for easy removal/replacement,had to get one made by Casey that uses double sided tape to attach to the receiver.Maybe somebody here has used one of these?I will be trying it out(gun and shellcatcher)soon,I'll let you know how they both work out.

5. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

It will shoot way to flat for serious trap shooting.

6. lostandout

lostandout Member

whats way to flat 50/50 put that barrel on the bird and pull the trigger cant get much better than that

brian

7. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

a tape on comb will get it higher if you are just goofing around for fun

8. rebeldog1

rebeldog1 TS Member

On the subject of combs,anybody try a strap-on comb for their field guns?I've seen some advertised with different heights,anywhere from five eighths to one and a quarter inch,don't recall brand but they are available from Brownell Shooting Supply.I might try one about an inch or so to use on the Stoeger and an H&R Pardner just as informal trap guns,don't want to spend over a thousand dollars for a top of the line trap gun.The Stoeger was $650,got the H&R for $100 used.

9. sterlingworth

sterlingworth Active Member

Just to let you know,a thousand dollars will not get you into a "top of the line" trap gun.

10. rebeldog1

rebeldog1 TS Member

Sterlingworth I was reffering to Berretta,Benelli,Winchester,Remington semi-auto shotguns costing over a thousand dollars for the basic models that would be better for trap shooting or even field models costing over a thousand,I don't intend to compete in ATA shoots,just weekend fun.From what I have read Stoeger makes a quality gun capable of handling all types of 12ga.ammo so the price is really affordable for a versatile gun like that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
shell catchers stoeger m3500
shotgun shooting stoeger

stoeger 3500 shell catcher

stoeger 3500 trap
stoeger m3500

stoeger m3500 for trap

stoeger shell catcher

trap shooting stoeger 3500