1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Stoeger Condor for a new shooter

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by jones, May 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jones

jones TS Member

I have to believe this question has come up in the past. As a new shooter and new to this site I really would like to get an experienced opinion on the reliability/cost effectiveness/suitability of the Condor Competition O/U for a guy who is going to shoot ~ 50 birds/week.

I can buy a new one for just over $ 500 with a lot of extras-chokes etc. I'm hard pressed to spend big bucks at this time but would like to get shooting.

Would appreciate your thoughts.

2. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Yes, it has.

The Condor looks like a serious target shooting gun, but it isn't.

If you REALLY will only shoot 50 targets a week, you might be OK.

The problem is, quality-wise, they are hit-or-miss. You might get a good one, but you might also get a lemon that will have to go back to Stoeger a couple of times before you get it to work. Go to Stoeger's user's forum and you'll see what I mean.

I would strongly recommend you get a used Remington 1100 or Beretta 391 or even the Beretta 3901. You will be getting a far better gun.

If your heart's set on an over/under, get a used Browning Citori, or save up and get one of the new Winchester Select Energy over/unders.

My opinion only. Your mileage may vary.

3. nipper

nipper TS Member

our club manager shoots them, i looked at them and for the cost, i think for starting out you cant beat them.if im not mistaken they come with 5 choke tubes.

bill

4. nipper

nipper TS Member

and a 10,000$ gun wont lol

bill

5. acre44

acre44 Member

I really enjoy all you puzzies out there complaining about the "kick". It is all in your head, wussies. I bet a .22 has to much kick for you too.

6. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Mr Jones, my opinion will differ from most considering the stoegers. I have a 12 ga that I have put close to 20,000 shots through and never a problem. I also have a 20 O/U and have close to 10,000 shots through without a problem. I have a 410 with close to 5,000 shots through without a problem. As far as problems, I have sent three back to the factory in the last five years and probably sold 300, one of those was a auto and one a pump. At that price you shouldn't expect it to hold up to the same stress as a $2,000.00 gun but I have seen problems with guns that cost that much and I've had none with my stoegers. It's kind of like the guy that hunts with a Mossburg for dove hunting, ducks, turkeys and deer and relies on it and it performs day after day, and folks kid them about their cheap old Mossburg until they get in a dove field and he smokes em.

I'm not saying that you won't possibly have problems, just that I haven't. Jackie B.

7. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

If you are dead set on a O/U. It maybe ok for your intended use. I checked them out. Dicks sporting goods had a few when they first opened here a a while back. I did not really like the adj comb. It looked like plastic, also I was really looking for a parallel comb. Also resale is a consideration. We have a few members who bought the mossberg silver reserve sporting for about the same $$. All have had problems with pins and forearm cracks. One member finally got his new and improved pins. 2 have tried to sell on gun broker with no luck. I felt it was a bit gritty feeling and barrel fit to be sloppy. As a New shooter I checked out every low end sporting gun. For me just never picked one up and said that feels good. I finally took the advice from a senior shooter. "buy a gun that if you decide trap is not for you, you can sell with out looseing your shirt. I ended up with a browning XT. Befor that I shot 870 exspress that I have had for ever. Played around with a used stock I found, with bondo in hand. Modified the comb and palm swell. Then tried every gun I could get my hands on. The XTs was with in my decicded budget, felt good bringing it to my shoulder. And did not kick. I think If I where to sell I may loose 15% tops?

8. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

A few months ago , a new shooter came down the club with one that he just purchased . He didn`t get finished with the first round before the gun failed to cock the triggers ?? He finised using my gun and we told him to take it back and get something else . Never saw him again but a member visited the same store that it was purchased and the salesperson said there were 3 others sold from that store that had similar problems . Whether that one was fixed or replaced is unknown to me .

9. PHILFIRST

PHILFIRST TS Member

Welcome to a great sport! I got back into shooting trap about a year ago and had purchased the Condor competition. I now shoot at least 500 rounds a week between the club and ATA. I am happy to say I have never had a problem with my gun. (and it's kind of fun to post a better score than the big high dollar guns. lol) If the gun fits you and you shoot it well than its a good starter gun in my opinion.

10. LUGNUTZ426

LUGNUTZ426 TS Member

MY SON HAD ONE. DID NOT KICK ANYMORE OR LESS THAN ANY OTHER MID WEIGHT OVER UNDER. SHOT STRAIGHT AND HANDLED OKAY. .....BUT IT TWICE WENT BACK TO STOEGER FOR AN INTERMITTANT LIGHT HIT AND MISFIRE. THAN IT DEVELOPED A CONDITION THAT ONCE IN A WHILE AFTER IT WARMED UP IT WAS EXTREMEY HARD TO CLOSE. WE DUMPED IT THEREAFTER AND BOUGHT A USED 1187 TRAP. SHOULD HAVE DONE THAT FROM THE GITGO!
    SHOOTS SOFTER, POINTS BETTER AND HAS NEVER FAILED TO OPERATE.

11. Colonel Reb

Colonel Reb TS Member

I thought about the Condor too, but my dealer couldn't get one. I got Remingtons instead and have been pleased. The Stoegers have an attractive price but the quality is iffy. Now I do have a Smith and Wesson new Turkish made auto hunting gun that is great. If Smith and Wesson or some other manufacturer develops a trap gun over in Turkey with their own standards it possibly would have the price everyone wants and acceptable quality.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how to shoot a stoeger condor