1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Stoeger comp. ou Any opinions?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by My 3 sons, Dec 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. My 3 sons

My 3 sons TS Member

My son is on the trap team in high school. They have won the
    state championship 5 out of 6 times. Would this Stoeger competition be a
    soild gun for this. I will have 3 sons on the team in a couple of years.
    What would be a good choice? Paul

2. shoot'er

shoot'er TS Member

Paul to put it simply NO! I have had some really bad times with Stoegers. They are made cheaply and half of the time they miss fire on you. If you really want to get your son a quality gun, then go with a Browning XT or a SKB. These guns he can shoot for all 4 years of high school. My old junior coach had a Stoeger o/u and again it was temperamental, and would sometimes not fire. Hope this helps and have a Merry Christmas.

JD

3. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I looked at every Discount entry level sporting gun out there. Almost bought the stoeger condor comp. Until I shouldered it and handled it some. Best bet is a good old fasioned 870/1100 trap. I have seen many Older browning traps and gti model over unders for 1000.00 or less. Most times its best to buy a good known reliable action 870/1100 beretta. Plenty of add ons and parts avalible. For the few rounds a month shooter, maybe a good buy? The gun I handled seemed to loose and sloppy for a new gun. When I was looking at the comp it was 599.00?

4. Stetson 33

Stetson 33 TS Member

This is a high end forum as I owned a stoeger condor o/u for 7 years.It started me out in registered trap shoots and I did well with it.The only thing
    I did was change the chokes.I purchased a Remington 3200 and gave the stoeger to my son and he shot register shots with besting older shooters with all the
    named guns.I use to tell my boy it must hurt when they miss with those ten thousand dollar guns.One time one the old guys came over and congratulated my son on winning and asked him what he was using for a gun when he told him
    a stoeger the guy asking hung his head.I told my boy you just meet a gun snob

5. hoghunter

hoghunter Member

I HAD A CONDOR COMP. WITH THE ADJ COMB, AT LEAST ONCE A DAY WHEN YOU WOULD SHOOT IT THE RECOIL WOULD CAUSE IT TO UNLATCH THE FOREARM & WHEN YOU OPENED THE BARREL EVERYTHING WOULD HIT THE GROUND! CALLED BERETTA & THEY KNEW ABOUT THE PROBLEM, IT WAS THE WAY THE LATCHED WORKED, RECOILED BACK & LATCH WOULD RELEASE AS YOUR HAND WENT FOWARD? THEY SAID NO FIX AS OF NOW? IT'S NOT PRETTY WHEN BOTH PEICES HIT THE CONCRETE, TRADED IT BACK TO GANDER MT.
    THANKS
    JR

6. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Paul,

You'd be way better off with a used 1100 trap.

I have a Stoeger Condor (not a competition model) that I've hunted with for years. I've seen worse guns, but like others have said, there are many better guns for trap. It has a trigger like a Daisy Red Rider. I don't think you, or your son, would be happy with a Condor Competition.

7. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Hoghunter,

Is the Caps Lock key stuck on your keyboard, or do you just like to shout?

8. lumper

lumper TS Member

Always remember this ... compare the price to other O/U's and then remember that you always get what you pay for.

There is a reason why it is so cheap compared to other O/U's.

9. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

I do not have expierience with this particular gun, but I have used and examined other stoeger models, the guns are not built well and will not stand up to high volume trap shooting. As others have stated, you'd be better off with an 1100, or if you want an O/U you may want to look into a winchester select energy O/U. I have one and love it, it is well built and a great value. A used select energy will typically sell for $1000-$1300, a bit more than the stoeger, but well worth it.

10. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Member

Paul...for real....look for something else. Condors in any grade are not competition grade and will break...probably soon. Save a little longer and step up the ladder a little..............Your friend in Pa..........Uncle Sam

11. lumper

lumper TS Member

Ya know ... there is a gentleman that I shoot with at times that is a cheap penny pinching miser who one day said that my big can of Arizona Iced Tea was very expensive at just 99 cents. He about flipped when I purchased a new shotgun a few years back ... he ranted for many weeks about how much my new gun was in comparison to his Stoeger. Yeah he saved about $1400 buying that Stoeger but since then he has bought 2 more Stoegers and a Spartan because of the cost of a gun like mine or others and says he will never spend that much on a gun like the one I bought.

Well ... 2 of his Stoerger's are parts and he still has problems with the one that works sometimes. It has major trigger extractor/ejector/safety issues as well. He bought the Spartan as a back up to the Stoeger and is beginning to have almost as many problems with the Spartan as the Stoeger. To this day though he still praises them both and tries to convince people who are looking to purchase a new gun that Stoegers or Spartans are the way to go ... cause the cost for anything else is so much.

What he avoids and will not actually publicly admit is that for what he has spent on his Stoegers and his Spartan is actually a little more than what a good trap/sporting clays O/U would cost new. Spend it now or spend it later ... it is your choice.

12. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

Paul,

My son is in the SCTP program and we went down the gun progression path. Do yourself a huge favor and spend the money once. In all likelihood your boys will shoot singles trap only and if they advance to registered targets or other games then maybe some handicap, some doubles or maybe some skeet or sporting clays.

Of all the guns we purchased (Beretta o/u, Rem 3200, 870 and 11-87, BT99, Perazzi, combo) the best "one" gun is the 11-87. We can and do shoot that gun for all the games - it is a fabulous gun, pretty to look at (we got the nickel plated sporting version), great wood, readily available parts including barrels and chokes that don't break the bank and it is super reliable. It is a soft shooter and with a good pad you can hardly feel the recoil.

Give serious thought to a good semi auto. They're not as sexy as the o/u which is what all the kids seem to want but they are fantastic guns.

13. 1100 classic trap shooter

1100 classic trap shooter TS Member

I had the same problem as hoghunter had with his stoeger. Plus I had to send it back to the factory for a second shot misfiring issue. Don't buy a stoeger.

14. Stetson 33

Stetson 33 TS Member

Glad to reply Mike,

When I was lucky enough to shoot registered shoots we would average 6-8
    shoots a seasons so we fire about 1800 rounds a season which is plenty
    for me.I was a card carrying ATA member but had to give up trapshooting
    which I loved dearly due to C4-5-6 fusion with a host of other neck problems.
    I do have a remington 870 and we didn't like it for trapshooting.I stand by
    my prior comments as this is what I experienced.Stoegers are what they are
    they gave us an opportunity to get started in a sport where we learned on our own.I'd buy it again because i've got my money's worth out of it and it's still going strong.I am no way comparing it quality of more expensive shotgun
    but it fills a segement of market that's needed.

15. ATF Agent

ATF Agent TS Member

Paul,

If your budget is $600, then stick to it. If, after reading second and third person accounts of alleged Stoeger horror stories, you decide you cannot have your sons shoot Stoegers, then search around.

I was able to find an older Citori through a friend of a friend for $375, with 3 Briley extended chokes and the original hard case. I put a new stock on it for $145 (to fit me). Fitting and finishing the stock took about four hours with basic hand tools. The gun shoots great and looks great too.

You'll do fine with whatever decision you make.

ATF Agent

16. Easystreet

ATF Agent wrote: "If, after reading second and third person accounts of alleged Stoeger horror stories..."

Some people are smart enough to learn from the mistakes of OTHERS. I don't have to stick my fingers into a meat grinder to know that it wouldn't be good for my fingers to do so. But then, there are some people who have to learn everything the hard way.

17. dverna

dverna Active Member

Stoegers are not competition guns.

Tons of problems reported.

Good advice from many here. Get a good used gun if money is tight - you will be able to sell it for what you paid for it when you trade up later.

Don

18. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

As a Stoeger dealer I have only sent a total of three guns back to the factory in the last four years. One of them a kid stuck the barrel in the dirt and then fired it.(accidently stuck it in the dirt, of course) Replaced rather than repair by factory for $225.00. Another had a problem with the barrel selector spring. Third gun was an auto 2000 with a lost screw and shell extractor. Their service department is one of the slowest in the world but the handling time for Beretta and Benelli is the same.
    I have returned as many or more high dollar brands in that period of time so I can't really complain about them. I was given a Stoeger 12/20 two barrel set which I put over 12,000 rounds through and never had a problem with either barrel. Some of the wood on the Stoeger's is much prettier than what is normally on other expensive brands.
    I've said all of that to say this, "The Stoeger O/U ain't a Browning or Beretta but is a very serviceable gun." It is not built as a high mileage gun and will not hold up or compare with most guns that cost four times as much. If you intend to do a lot of shooting look for a good deal on a Beretta, Benelli(auto), Browning, Winchester or Ruger. If you were considering an autoloader I would suggest the Stoeger 2000 for a low priced gun. We have sold a lot of them and never had problems with them. I have a close friend that shoots a lot and due to shoulder problems prefers auto loader over his Beretta O/U's. His main gun he is using is a 2000 which has given him zero problems with over 20,000 rounds shot. Jackie B.

19. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

The thing about the Stoeger Condor is,

That it is the of the linneage of one of the lesser "K" guns.......

As in the K mart brand, Also known as BOITO!

I won't say you can not find a diamond in the junk, and I am sure that quite a few shooters have had one that did everything they were asked of it!

Most of that line of guns is in parts bins because something soft bent or broke one two many times, and the owner said give me a few dollars for the junk, twoards a real gun!

So spend the same amount of money on a brand with quality reputation and save yourselve the agrivation!

MY 2 C

Al

20. Easystreet

Jack,

Maybe the reason people haven't returned more Stoegers to you (the dealer) is because most Warranty Papers on guns say to contact the Manufacturer/Distributor .... and they supply a phone number and address to do so.

As a dealer, you just sell the guns. You don't warranty them. I know, some people can't or won't read the Warranty papers and take the defective guns back to the dealer. But a far greater percentage either send them back to the manufacturer or take the gun to another dealer and trade it in (at a BIG LOSS) on something else.

In other words, if the gun you sold them was a piece of CRAP, you may never know about it, but in 6 to 12 months, the gun may be sitting on some other dealer's used gun rack.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.