1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Stoddard Solvent

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by grntitan, Oct 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I have been getting solvent from an oil dealer for years to use in my parts washer. I was recently informed i will no longer be able to buy under the table so to speak like i always have. I have always been under the impression what i have been buying is "stoddard solvent". So now that i have to find a new source, i need some lessons on what to buy and possibly where. I use to buy anywhere from 25-55 gallons at a time but it was never in the actual container the dealer recieved it in. I would always drop my containers off and he would fill them and deliver them to me for cash. He always said he wasn't supposed to be selling it to me as such. I don't know why that was and i never asked any questions. The local farm supply store has solvent in metal 5 gallon cans for $45 each. That is higher than i always paid but that is understanable. I'm not as much worried about price as i am getting the same stuff. I tried to research via the internet but got confused as i saw there are various grades. So what it is the good stuff? Can anybody here educate me on solvents namely stoddard solvent.

Thanks

Matt

2. davidjayuden

davidjayuden Well-Known Member

It can be frustrating to buy these days. Try googling it and I suspect that you will find the same stuff by a different name.
    dju

3. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

I was in the same dilemma a short time ago.

I needed a gal. or so to clean auto parts.

Your auto parts store sell parts cleaning solvent which I think is the same, but a bit pricey. Also, the paint store sells Mineral Spirits if it will work.

Someone in a previous thread said Kingsford charcoal lite is Stoddard Solvent. I found the big bottles on sale at Home Depot and got by.

I used to buy V.M.& P Naptha like you did but got the same answer some time ago.

Solvents are getting harder to get as well as expensive.

Regards....Gerald

4. grntitan

Why is it getting so hard to find? Is there some reason the good stuff is not easily obtainable? Is it good ole Government regulations or something? I have tried some of the non-toxic and citrus based stuff and it just ain't the same. The mineral spirits i have tried wasn't all that impressive either for cleaning oily and greasy motorcycle and car parts. I have tried charcoal lighter fluid and it works but is very expensive at like $4-$6 a quart. Heck i was paying that per gallon for the solvent not too long ago.

I'll have to check at the auto parts store. It's just my parts washer holds around 40 gallons and takes roughly 15-20 gallons just to get the pump to pick it up with continuous flow. I use to clean the washer out and would waste 3 gallons just doing that. Guess those days are over.

5. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

We had to switch over to something called 'BioAct'

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Enviro hysteria affects everyone, regardless of race creed or color.

Someone should start a company to centrifuge used solvents.

HM

7. halfmile

Found the above link very informative.

HM

8. grntitan

HM--That's what confuses me. I read your link and it claims White Spirits, Stoddard Solvent and Mineral Spirits are the same thing. Now the parts washer fluid i have been using forever is flammable but doesn't flare up like gasoline does when lit. It ignites like charcoal lighter fluid. I tried some mineral spirits i got at Wal Mart and it didn't clean very well at all. It also was NOT flammable. Are there different types of even mineral spirits?

9. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Ask Indy...

roflmfao

10. grntitan

Of course he will know. If i had some intellect i would have thought of that. :)

11. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Matt, try a product called Purple Power. It's water based, about 5 dollars per gallon at WalMart. It cuts grease and oil like crazy and has none of the down side of petroleum based stuff. It's in automotive.

12. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Plain old mineral spirits with a slug of xylol (xylene) will cut any grease or oil. Of course the EPA will be all over you for that.

As Halfmile stated enviro hysteria ... stoddard solvent contains some volitale hydrocarbons!

13. earlybird

earlybird TS Member

NO, NO, and NO! Parts washer solvent MUST be flash-point retardant to 142F or higher. Do NOT use naphtha or mineral spirits, unless you don't mind flash fires in your work area. I'm not sure about distribution nationally, but try ZEP products. We offer a product for this application, but only distribute in SW.

14. grntitan

I'll give the Purple Power a try. That is until i lock down a good source for the stoddard i've been using. The parts washer has a fusable link that automatically closes the lid to smother any fires. Not saying it couldn't happen, but in 20+ years using the parts washer with solvent, i've never had a flash fire(knock'n on wood).

15. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

A friend of mine, who has a Transmission shop has been using Stoddard in his parts washer (Snap On) for 30+ years, no problems.

Although, if you have a Chinese washer, like most everyone now sells, I believe they advocate use of non- flammable solvent, which in my opinion doesn't clean well.

Regards....Gerald

16. halfmile

Ahaha, no tickee no washee.

Yes, I believe there are several grades of mineral spirits. I got some from a painting and sandblasting contractor once that was far better than anything I ever used.

You just have to keep digging, I guess, and when you find the good stuff back stock it.

HM

17. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

As to the mention of recyling solvents, cleaning dirty solvent Safety Kleen already does that they pick up the old and refill the washer with new/clean. I belive some of the outfits actually clean dirty solvent with a sort of still. Now then about the citrus based cleaners several years ago Jeep in Toledo and in fact all of Chrysler got rid of hydrocarbon solvents and went with heated citrus and water parts washers. Let me tell you it worked very well. I am refering to crudded up air and hydrauslic claming systems that were used in the body shop crudded up with caked on sealer and grease. Yep when the change happen we all thought bull poop but with the heat and citrus it cleans very well and dries quickly. We used it to clean air tool parts also. Just like hydrocarbon solvents it would de oil your skin so you had to wear gloves when using it. They also went to a dry ice type of blaster taht worked like a sand blaster except used cakes of dry ice that went through a grinder and blasted huge body shop fixtures clean all the was left to do was sweep up the dry debis off the floor. Bill

18. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Quite a few years ago I had a buddy that had a repair shop that used Safety Kleen, for quite a few years, but he said they got so high priced he could buy new stuff cheaper, after he cancelled his gig with Safety Kleen, the EPA came to his shop and really checked him over about how he handled the used solvent

He swore Saftey Kleen turned him in because he cancelled their services

I usually use mineral spirits and if that doesn't do it MEK or lacquer thinner

I know it's flammable, but keep all sparks away, better than the gas I used before them

19. earlybird

earlybird TS Member

www.zepprofessional.com; check parts washer solvent.

20. triplea

triplea TS Member

Stoddard solvent is an aliphatic hydrocarbon, contains no benzene. Quality is determined by the KB number but is really of no use except in industrial applications. Kendall product is Kensol, Mobil is Solvasol. Flash point is high enough to be called safety solvent in the old days. Should leave no film when cleaning. Charcoal lighter fluid can be K1 kero or stoddard of low quality. Mobil product could b e obtained from a Mobil dist. Good luck.. David Proper.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
is stoddard solvent and mineral spirit the same thing
solvnet trapshooters
staddard slovent where to buy

stoddard solvent for sale

stoddard solvent used to clean greasy floors
where can i buy stoddard solvent

where to buy stoddard solvent

where to buy stoddard solvent in wisconsin