1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

stockmakers at the Grand?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Bridger, Jan 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bridger

Bridger Member

I may go to Sparta this year for the first time. If so, I'd like to see about having a stock made. Are there any vendors who can fit and make a custom stock? Thanks

2. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

If you have a Perazzi, I believe they had the staff there to make a custom stock for you. If you don't have a Perazzi, you are SOL at the Grand.

3. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Now that I think about it. I think P had their smiths there, but not the stockmakers. Seemes to me that there was something about not having a Fire Code approved room to put the finish on the wood.

4. sglfr45

sglfr45 TS Member

wdturner, I was there and witnessed the thong episode. It was gruesome. Go to devaultind.com and click on pictures. It is displayed there.

Bridger, if you are looking to have a custom stock made look no further than Dennis Devault and the Devault Ind. staff. I have an Infinity and was custom fitted. I have shot competetive skeet and trap for the past 12 years. There is no doubt in my mind, that Dennis is the best gunfitter in the country. There is nothing wrong with gunsmiths doing adjustable combs and buttplates. BUT if you want a custom stock call Dennis. By the way his wife Cindy does great checkering. If you want to talk to me personally, please send an email. Matt Woodson

5. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

What about Joe Goldberg??

Joe has fitted and made incredible stocks for me - I just saw a stock he made for Adam Kraznowski that is the most unique stock I've ever seen - WOW!.

From what I understand Joe and Dennis are friends and of similar minds when it comes to fitting and making stocks.

Joe also provides instruction for the shotgunning sports.

6. Tax Man

Tax Man TS Member

Hey, I can throw some fuel on this fire.

Joe Goldberg makes all my over and under stocks at this time. I had Kolar make a custom stock for me that did not turn out as expected. Joe got involved and worked with me and Kolar to have another stock made that was wonderful. Since that time Joe has made and fitted other stocks for me.

I own one of Dennis DeVault's 12 gauge 391 elite shotguns. He does wonderful work. At this time I am having him make a 20 gauge 391 with one of his custom stocks. Dennis is a great person to talk and work with. I would not go to anyone else for Beretta 391 stock or barrel work. I have one other 391 Teckny with the crappy rib and stock that looks like a 3rd grader finished it. As soon as I can, I'm having Dennis convert that gun with a new rib and custom stock.

Both Joe and Dennis are first class all the way. I love the work that both of them do. Both go the extra mile to make sure you are happy. I cannot think of anything to say that is negative about either of them.

The key to a good stock fit is having a competent stock fitter that can see what you need based upon your shooting style.

I found out the hard way by having "so called stock fitters" make you a stock based upon how they want you to mount and shoot their gun. Also, the person that fits you should be the one that finishes and checkers the stock. A third party may sand the crap out of your "fitted stock" and then you wind up with a comb that is too low, and also a non existent palm swell.

Gee, I went on too long. But if I can help one person not experience what I did and save the cost I had to pay, then great.

Don't take my work, just look at some of Joe's and Dennis's work and you will see what I mean about the attention to the details.

Paul

7. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Matt, I went to the site to see the thong pics and all I found was a pic of a bird dog with a crippled foot. He didn't even have a thong on, what gives?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.