1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Stock work needed/suggestions needed

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jhise67, Oct 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jhise67

Jhise67 Member

I have purchased a browning XT for my 15 year old as well as a stock from Macon stock works. I am thinking about getting a Graco adjustable LOP as well as an adjustable comb. Is this the right move and who should I get to do the work????? Thanks Jerry

2. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

is he 7 feet tall?

Or are you thinking of cutting it short and then extending it later?

How much more is he going to grow? a 1/2 inch pad to one of those thick 1 3/8s pads is a lot of room

The gracos are a good system- I have had several but it wont be cheap to get that done- 200-250 probably- and then an equal amount for an adjustable comb

What part of the country are you in?

Regards from Iowa

Gene

3. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

It's the right move if that's what you need to do to make the gun fit him, but you need to understand WHY you are making changes to the gun before you spend the money. You need to understand what his needs are with respect to gun fit and recoil mitigation. You need to understand his needs and make any changes according to a plan. Just throwing money at the gun isn't by any means going to solve any problems or result in any kind of improvement.

4. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Tronspace.

5. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

I just had the same performed to my XT. Rod's custom stocks. $620.00 for the whole job. $220 for the comb and $400.00 for the Gracol intstalled with a new Kick Ease pad. He did a great job...

6. Jhise67

Jhise67 Member

Thanks for all of the advice. I live in central Virginia and everyone tells me that the stock is too long and that I should get something that is adjustable to allow room for growth. I'm new to this and just want to do what is best for him. Thanks again for all of the advice.

7. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

OK so that is why I asked

first- just have it cut- maybe go to a cabinet maker-

You can do it yourself but you have to make sure you have the cut even on a table saw- the easies way is to keep the receiver on the gun and level it

Just use the existing pad ( it wont fit but it is fine while he is growing) when he grows out of that- get a thicker pad

Usually LOP is not that critical unless it is too long ( most common problem) or too short

Usually with a normal length neck you have about a 1 to 11/4 range

Now one more thing- make sure he is in the proper stance- the gun you purchased for him probably is way to heavy so often he will be leaning back and not forward over the gun- that makes the LOP look even longer

Regards from Iowa

Gene

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.