1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Stock Wax??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 687_SP_II, May 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 687_SP_II

687_SP_II TS Member

What is the best paste wax to to clean and protect the wood surface?

2. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Boiled Linseed oil.

3. 687_SP_II

687_SP_II TS Member

Has anyone tried SC Johnson fine wood paste wax?

4. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

S.C.Johnson canaba wax.
    Steve Balistreri

5. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

Myland's wax

6. Ted K.

Ted K. Member

I tried a bunch of different waxes, including some VERY expensive Carnauba wax ($20 for 4 ounces) recommended by the company that built my gun.

What I found out was that I couldn't tell the difference between the high priced spread and Pledge. Really. And the Pledge is very easy to put on. Spray it on and wipe it off.

If you don't believe me, just try it once before you go nuts trying to get some exotic stuff. Your wife must have some.

Ted K.

7. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Ted,You couldn't tell the difference because modern gunstock finishes are extremely tough and don't really benefit from wax.

8. Ted K.

Ted K. Member

Jerry-

You might be right, but I had my stock done in an oil finish, not the bright shiny finish that you frequently see. That made me very interested in wax. I found that the $20 stuff made the stock look like cherished antique furniture, but so did the Pledge. And the Pledge was much easier to use.

Also, you can buy a LOT of Pledge for $20.

Ted K.

9. MAL-53

MAL-53 Member

I use "Old Craftsman`s" lemon oil with bees wax, its not a paste wax, but works great! breakemall ML.

10. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

Try "Plexus" on your stock. The product is used for motorcycles windshields, aircraft windows etc. Great product and will make stock shine and protect. Will not hurt bluing. If you don't have it Google "plexus". Motorcycle stores usually carry it or Fixed base Airport Operations. No rash on your cheek either.

11. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Go to a music store and buy guitar wax. Bulge.

12. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Ditto on the oil finish... on my 90T, I was given a sample bottle of Birchwood Casey's Gun Stock Wax and found it easy to apply and really does a nice job and brings out the beauty of the wood...

Jay

13. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Bulge.........A gunsmith I go to uses guitar wax.

He took a 39A and engraved the reciever, then reblued it, polished the barrel (it looked like chrome but I don't think it was) and then had a stock and forearm made from Tiger Maple. He then polished the wood with all the grits of guitar wax and I got to tell ya that thing looked like a mirror. You would never have guessed it was a 39A when it was done.

14. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

Honda motorcycle shops sell a spray cleaner polish designed for paint. Doesn't sound right until you realize that most varnished stocks are basically a plastic finish. One spritz and wipe off with a soft rag and you're done, and it doesn't build up on the finish. It's a two minute process and looks as good as carnauba wax.

A can will last you a couple of seasons. I've used it for years on rubbed out stocks.

15. gunut54

gunut54 TS Member

I use TREWAX from ACE Hardware stores....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.