1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Stock too short

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by swatman201, Jan 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. swatman201

swatman201 Member

Hello,
    I am a new shooter and own a Browning BT99. Last weekend, I went shooting with a buddy and tried his gun. I shot 100% better. After looking at the difference, his gun has a LOP of 14 1/2, my Bt99 has a LOP of 13 7/8. What are my options, beside buying a new stock, which is out of my budget. One fellow recommended a graco adjustable pad. Can I install it myself? Is that my best option?
    Any help would be arreciated,
    Joe Isnardi

2. bonzai272

bonzai272 Member

add a spacer(s) between the stock and the butt pad or get a thicker butt pad.

3. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

A used Graco adjustable would fix you right up. It doesn't have to fit perfectly. I have one that's a touch shy around the edges. I put black magic marker around the edge that shows and it just doesn't.

4. hwy13

hwy13 Member

Joe,

Midway has 1/4 & 1/2 inch spacers , some shooters use them during the
    summer, then after they start wearing heavy jackets they take the spacers
    off.

Click on the website URL above.

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Try some spacers and shoot the gun. It is possible you shot his gun better because it has a different POI than your gun. Find out for sure why you have a problem with your gun. HMB

6. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I doubt if it is a LOP issue....drop at comb is far more likely.

Jb

7. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Just to try it out find a piece of wood the thickness you need and cut it and place behind the pad. It may not look pretty but you find out if thats the lenght for you. Cheaper then spending a load of dough and not be happy. If it works and you shoot it well them go for the real fix..

8. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

hmb has a good idea for starting out, stop by your local hardware store & get a dozen washers & a couple longer screws, put 2-3-4-5 etc. between your pad & the stock, see if it feels better, when it does then shoot it a little. You may need "want" a couple more on the top screw, this will change the pitch slightly. This is an inexpensive way to find out what works for YOU. Don't do anything too radical until you figure out what YOU need in the line of stock dimensions.

Another thing you might try is some moleskin on the stock to raise your head a little so you get a better view of the target. Experiment a little you will find whats right for you. Ross Puls

9. BENCHREST

BENCHREST Member Supporting Vendor

Go on the addarib.com website and look at the adjustable length of pull butt plate. It's 52.50 a better way than butchering your stock up with washers or spacers....Joe

10. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

13-7/8 sounds like a "Micro" stock.

My guess is there are many BT-99 standard stocks sitting on shelves across the country that could be had for very little coin.

SW

11. JPM

JPM Member

For about $12 you can buy a slip on pad that will add about 3/4 inch. It's an easy and cheap temporary fix that should tell you if lop is the issue. JPM

12. plux001

plux001 Member

Before I weigh in on this one, I have a question that I think everyone else is assuming, but I gotta ask....is your buddy's gun also a BT99 AND if so does it have an identical stock (except for length of pull...obviously)???

Paul

13. swatman201

swatman201 Member

Sorry about that, yes same gun with same stock, except mine was shortened. Never noticed because I shot some in N.J. in cold weather, now shooting in S. Florida in T-shirt

14. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Put your jacket back on! Accidentally take his gun when you leave. LOL

Spacers of any kind just to see if it makes a difference, then spend money on the permanent solution to a longer LOP. As was mentioned, there is plenty of BT-99 wood out there.

15. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Joe,

Were you using the same stance when shooting the two guns? If you were shooting a shotgun like a rifle with your shoulders nearly aligned with the direction you are shooting, a longer stock is needed than if you were facing tarets more directly.

When you mounted the two guns, did you notice that your nose was 2+ inches closer to your trigger-hand thumb when you mounted your gun?

Were you mounting the two guns at the same height on your shoulder? A low mount requires a longer stock to keep your nose and thumb safely separated.

Rollin

16. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

My money is with Tron.

Guy Babin

17. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

if you were hitting your nose with your thumb then stock is too short. if you didn't there is something else involved. shorter stocks swing quicker

18. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

We're also assuming that both guns have the same exact POI when the beads are lined up. A trip to the patterning board would be a good thing.

Jb

19. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

God put the spacers or washers in and shoot the damn thing. If it works then you have solved your problem. If not then apply the Einstein advice you get on here. Your answer might just be that simple. You might ask your friend to see if you can put his stock on your gun and do you still shoot that much better.

Don

20. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

I second the slip-on pad suggestion, especially if you don't have a monte carlo stock with a raised comb. See link to see what size you need. You should be able to get one at a local gun shop or sporting goods store. Mark

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.