1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

stock too high on trap gun........

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by keennt, May 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. keennt

keennt TS Member

Just registered today.......
    I just bought a Winchester 101 with just the single barrel (34"). the length of pull is the same as my regular gun, but the stock is high for me. The cast is about right. I heard about 'shaving' the wood to make the gun fit higher on my cheek. what is the best way to do this...?? or should it be done by a "stock" man......?? then, it will need refinishing again after it is adjusted to me......I would think that a little at a time is proper...what tool would I use...?? Ken

2. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

How do you know it's too high? What's your "regular" gun? Have you shot a few hundred targets.... if so, what's going on? Did you put it on a pattern board? If you really do need to lower the comb, have an adjustable comb installed.

3. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Ken: I had a 3200 trap a couple of years ago that was exceptionally high. I just was not comfortable with it. I sent it to Greg Hissem and had him install an adjustable comb. I explained to him that I wanted a little "extra" taken off due to it not fitting me. It turned out great. This would alleviate the refinishing part of it also. Just an idea. Ed

4. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I too, would recommend having an adjustable comb installed by a good stock doctor. If you just "shave off" a little wood it's hard to put it back on again if you take off too much.

John C. Saubak

5. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

I also would urge you to not shave off wood. It costs a few dollars to have a stock person like Ken Rucker or Greg Hissem cut the comb to install an adjustable comb, but it'll look like factory original, and so the gun's value and your pride in it will remain. The gun deserves being treated right, plus a future owner would thank you for keeping it nice. If you shoot the gun and decide you do need to do this, ask them to remove an extra 1/8" or so when they make the cut. Ken Rucker did this for me, and with my stock he returned the perfect little 1/8" thick "canoe" he'd removed. I still have it on my bench. Phil E

6. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Another option would be to have an add-on rib installed. Instead of lowering the comb, the rib could be raised. Add-on ribs can be made any height. If you experiment with thin balsa strips from a hobby shop held on with electrician tape, you can find the height rib that you need.

Rollin

7. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Listen to bridgetoofar! A few months after shaving off the wood you'll be wanting to put it back!!

8. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

Excellent observation Oleolliedawg - excellent observation.

9. BP348

BP348 Active Member

Ken,

Congrats on the new gun. I learned on a 101 top single as well, loved that gun. Shoot it for a while and see if your opinion dosen't change.

If you really want to change go with the adjustable comb.

10. gasman03

gasman03 Member

When someone buys a gun why would you ever buy a gun that does not fit you properly? Not you go and spend to have a Adj. comb put on it. Why not buy one that fits you the first time.

Corey

11. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Corey,

People buy guns that do not fit them because they don't know when a gun fits. The majority of shooters still believe a gun fits if they can mount and shoot it without any painful body contortions.

It is because the majority of shooters do know know what shooting form (gun mount, body posture and stance) will offer the best scores. Watch shooters on the line sometime. You will see some very strange shooting forms. In most cases, it is the result of poorly fitting guns.

If you ask those using weird forms, most will believe their guns fit them. Ask about the strange rudiments of their forms, and they won't think they're strange at all. You will hear things like, "I've always shot this way" or something like "Uncle Bob taught me to shoot like he does".

Also, if you get the opportunity to watch someone buying a gun, chances are they will mount it several times in the store. Notice how they stand and the position of their head, with the gun mounted. Obviously it doesn't fit but they aren't aware of it.

When traveling, I used to stop into gun shops pretend to be interested in buying a trap gun. I would feign interest in a particular gun but say something like "the stock seems too long" or "too short" or mount the gun too low and say "my neck is uncomfortable" so see what the salesman would say.

Never was my weird mount or any complaint I had, countered with advice about correcting my form or how a stock dimension that was causing my complaint could be changed. Most often I was told that the gun "was fine" or that I "would get used to it".

That led me to believe that "fit" was the furthest thing from the minds of those selling guns, that they just wanted to sell the gun and didn't care anything about how successfully I would be able to shoot it. There were occasional salespeople that were "helpful" but they were few and far between.

Given this state of affairs, it is little wonder that so many shooters shoot so many guns that fit so poorly.

Rollin

12. keennt

keennt TS Member

Thsnks for the response's; Before I do anything, I will shoot it !...I have been looking at either an adjustable recoil pad, or the adjustable comb...or both. ???
    I have only owned it for a couple days....and the reason I bought it, was that it was a deal that I couldn't refuse.....I don't sell guns, I only buy them...It's like fishing rods...you never have enough !!

Ken

13. keennt

keennt TS Member

I quess I can buy what I want !!!

14. darr

darr Well-Known Member

You can have an adjustable comb installed by Hollingsworth for 150.00.He does a uetiful job and you can lower or raise as you see fit.He will have it back to you in a week.There is my monthly plug for Mr. Hollingsworth.Does nice work quickly and affordably.

15. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

I do quite a few of the "canoe removal" combs for guys who want their gun to shoot a little flatter. Be sure your stock person understands how much you want to be able to lower it: you can always go back up!! I try to remove a little extra just to be sure, if I have enough room.

Ken Rucker...Speedbump Stockworks

16. keennt

keennt TS Member

I need some websites or email address's to get an adj. comb..installed...
    Remove the xx's to email me........Ken

17. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

See above.....you can call @ 903-815-6535.

Ken

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.