1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Stock to receiver fit question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Mike K P, Jun 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike K P

Mike K P Member

I bought a stock for my old gun and the inletting is a little too small which enables the stock to rotate slightly. Any ideas of the best way to correct this? I was thinking of building it up with wood filler then sanding to fit but will it hold up? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Mike Pracht.

2. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

Sounds like it needs to be glass bedded.

Ed Yanchok

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

Ed is correct. Mike, you might need to get a little help with the bedding from someone at your club. It is not difficult but mistakes can be made.

Pat Ireland

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Use a two part epoxy like Devcon Plastic Steel. Use paste wax on the receiver as a release agent. Place a bead of epoxy on the stock, attach stock to receiver. Gently tighten the stock bolt and wipe off any excess epoxy. Make sure to line up the stock with the receivcer so you get the right amount of cast. HMB

5. JLW

JLW TS Member

Just how much "build up" does it need?

If it only needs .015 inches or so, epoxy will be fine. If it needs .06", I'd epoxy in a shim or two first, then refit.

Too, buy some release agent from Brownells. First wax the metal and then brush on the agent and set it aside for a few hours until it dries. Then do your epoxy. The release agent dries as a very thin film and will allow for easier metal removal from the wood.-Jerald

6. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

Go to Brownell's, they have 2 glass bedding products at least. One is a gel the other more liquid. Be sure to follow the directions to the letter. You do not need to have any initial skills other than reading. You clean everything. Make sure everything has plenty of release. Follow directions. You will end up with a perfect fit, if you do not follow directions, you will have a 1 piece stock and action. I have used this product for 20 years to repair cracks and tighten the fit of stocks. It is a great product

7. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Brownell's Acra-Glas gel is a superb product.

8. Mike K P

Mike K P Member

I don't need much build up at all. Thanks for all the help.
    Mike.

9. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I used a 2 part expoxy, what they use to repair rotted wood, by far not the best method but did work. bit messy.

10. turmite

turmite Member

Mike, what kind of gun? This might also dictate the way to do the job. Semi auto? If so, you are going to have a recoil tube of some sort to deal with, and it had better be right, or you will have a lovely one piece action stock combo!

The Berreta 391 has a larger end on the tube that attaches to the action than the body of the tube itself and unless dealt with, will lock the action and stock together no matter how much release agent you use should you get resin that far down.

I have used most of the bedding compound out there, and my least favorite material is the AcuraGel from Brownell's. My reason may have nothing to do with the quality of the material since I did not personally purchase it and I have no idea how old it was. That particular lot of gel would not harden....period!It would look hard, but regardless of how long I let it set, I could take my thumbnail and easily make a depression in it.

I now use MarineTex Gray. It is a metal filled epoxy that is used in the marine industry for bedding the motors in.

There is no better release agent made than Brownell's aeresol (sp). I have heard that plain old kitchen spray pam is the same thing, but I have never personally used it. Don't forget to fill all the little holes, undercuts etc with modeling clay before you apply release agent so you will be able to seperate the two. Ask me how I know!

If I can be of service this week, ask. I will not be available after this week. My wife has been diagnosed with the most agressive breast cancer and she is a kidney transplant patient of 14 years. Next week she starts treatments and once that starts, I won't be available to anyone but her.

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.