1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

stock split in two !!! now what???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by daydreamer1, Jan 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daydreamer1

daydreamer1 TS Member

well!! long story short. purchased a k 32 recevoir and forarm iron for a fair price. gave it to a person to bed it to my super pritty fajin k 80 stock. boy just wait till the guys see my new k 32 trap gun. fitter calls today and said that when he removed stock from recevoir from bedding material a small crack near tang split stock at tang through checkering and stoped when that part fell on the floor. broke stock in two. does it get any better ?? he said he can pin it but not sure that it will hold up. might add he is a friend and was fitting stock as a favor to me, can this type of damage be repaired, or is the cost such that i should try and find a cheep used one if any exist.i could proberly learn to shoot the gun with no stock but how would i ever get lop corect? i dont think i will ever be much of a trap shooter, only wanted to look good anyway. but thats done as i will be the only shooter at club that carrys a k32 trap with no stock.thinking of showing up with a bag over my head and be the unknown shooter!! well what do you think, get fixed, can it be fixed or give it a proper send off in the fireplace. first oboma now my stock it just keeps getting better

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Usually when you repair a split stock with pins and glue it is stronger than the original stock was. From your description of what happened, it sounds like the fella who is doing the job is a bit lacking. HMB

3. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

First thing....Be damn careful with the pieces. You do not want to break of ANYTHING on those feathered edges!!!

If your buddy is doing the repair, a pair of dowels (steel pins) installed parallel with the stock, should do the trick. The difficult part is drilling into the buttstock two straight holes and then drilling the chip with two matching straight holes.

Use Agraglas for the glue/epoxy. Care not to make a mess. Get a couple lengths of surgical tubing. Do the repair on the gun. also tape off as much of the checkering as possible. The Acraglas is a PITA to clean out.

The K-80 stock I've been shooting for 20 yrs was broken by the previous owner. He replaced the wood and gave me the broken one. I repaired it and it's still as strong as ever. I haven't done many, but the ones I have are still holding up.

Two months ago I received a 5 yr old Browning Citori that broke the same way. I repaired it the same way.

It's practically impossible to make the repair invisible without refinishing, but it can be close. Wood stains really hamper the look.

Remember, you only get one shot at the repair.

4. Don Rackley

Don Rackley Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Place a piece of kitchen wax paper between the wood and the receiver tang to protect the metal from glue/epoxy "creep"

Usepins to insure epoxy gets into each piece to be bonded together.

5. Lead Man

Lead Man TS Member

Sent mine to Art's Gun Shop. He did a great job.Sent the forearm as well and had him to refinish both pieces for match. Good price as well.

6. daydreamer1

daydreamer1 TS Member

gunDr. if he repairs the brake and down the road it fails are you saying that it's not repairable again or is it if he doesn;;t fit it just right live with it?

7. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

I was talking about getting ....the puzzle back together correctly...during the gluing procedure. Any shift or mis-match during the drying period, and you will be stuck with possible gaps mis-aligned checkering patterns, or maybe such a poor fit that it just plain does not look good.

If pins are used along with the Acraglas, it will not fail down the road.

I'm not saying to seek anyone else either. Even an expert can let something like this slip out of position, not notice it and end up with dire results. I've had guns come into the shop with wood repairs that were unbelievably perfect. When ask who did the repair, it was the local logger, farmer, or the gun owner's skate-boardin' son.

The object is to make it last. The best looking repair won't mean a thing if the wood breaks again right next to the glue line.

Use the pins. 1/8", at least 5/8" to 3/4" deep on each piece. If the surgical tubing does want to work properly, a clamp with soft leather pads can work well.

The Acraglas comes with a release agent. Apply at the minimum of two coats over all of the metal.

doug

8. 682b

682b Member

Send it to Doug or to the Fulton guys. All Bob Fulton does is repair and refinish stocks.

9. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Rod's Custom Stocks that advertise across the header of this web site does fantastic work. His number is 419-347-6403 Located near Shelby Ohio.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

10. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Don't use 5 minute expoxy. It won't hold up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.