1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Stock Seized By Customs

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by hoffman06, Apr 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hoffman06

hoffman06 Member

I just received a letter from U.S. Customs and Border Protection stating that they had seized a cheap Remington 700 plastic stock that I mailed to a friend in Canada. I know you can't ship guns but a stock, gosh I feel much safer now and know the Canadian people do to. Just needed to vent.
    Carey

2. Newfoundlander

Newfoundlander Member

And they called it free trade...

It is a bums rush even trying to ship brass and empty hulls between us..

I see every day on TS.com , good deals on guns and empty hulls that I would like to buy but can not even get interested because of the border issues..

Man this sucks..

Wait till they hit you guys with the gun registry..

Do you know that here in Canada we now has to even register a pellet air rifle cause of the registry that was crammed down our throats..

Thing is they said at the time that this registry wasn't going to affect us owning guns , didn't say anything about purchasing new ones..

This is an important issue , people should reply their thoughts...

Now I have vented somewhat..

Robert

( Pissed off Newfoundlander )

3. Rebsmith

Rebsmith Member

Sounds like Canada and the Peoples Republic of New Jersey have a lot in common.

Jere

4. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

It was seized by US Customs, not Canadian Customs. I suspect that it was wrongly seized and should be forwarded or returned to the shipper. Bill Malcolm

From Joe Potosky's "Losttarget.com" web site ....

Shipping Gun Parts to Canada

Question: I want to buy parts in the US for my firearm and import them into Canada.

Your supplier does not require a Canadian import document for muzzle-loading firearms, antique firearms, pellet guns or BB guns. Neither do they require one for shipments of firearm parts (other than frames, barrels, cylinders, receivers, and complete breech mechanisms) with a total wholesale value of less than $100 US.

5. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

When I've shipped stocks to the US I label them "Carved Walnut"...no problems so far....

6. hoffman06

hoffman06 Member

Looks like the magic number of $100.00 may be the hang up. My friend gave me $20 for the stock and paid $23.50 shipping cost and customs valued it at $100.00. Is it possible to get it released for continued shipment.
    Carey

7. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Contact Customs and ask them why they seized it. The shipping cost is not part of the $100 limit. Bill Malcolm

8. Hooked

Hooked Member

If customs deemed the part to be "tactical" in nature then that would have contravened the US export codes - irrespective of whether or not the value was less than $100. Being a black synthetic stock (I'm assuming), it's likely that some non-firearm person concluded that it must be a stock for a sniper rifle.

Just like some Leupold scopes can not be exported out of the US because they could be used for "tactical" purposes.

Brian

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.