1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Stock sealer??

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by mrskeet410, Dec 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

I had a new recoil pad put on my gun. I recently removed it, and it looks like the gunsmith sanded off the back of the stock, but did not apply a sealer. It will be easier for the to add the sealer than return the gun to the gunsmith.

What's a good sealer? I've heard tung oil. I want something I can get at a local hardware and won't break the bank. Any tricks or caveats?

2. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

Bee's wax. Put a chunk in a small pan and put the small pan into a larger pan of boiling water and heat the wax until it's soft. Rub/brush/massage the wax into the end grain and then scrape off the excess when it cools.

Polymerizing oils like Watco or DeftOil work well, too, but there's no sense in buying a whole can to do one butt end.

Morgan

3. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Where would one get bee's wax?

4. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

5. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I like your initial thought. Tung Oil. Use the real stuff that takes 3 weeks to polymerize. You don't have to worry about it; it lasts forever.

6. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

I had an adjustable recoil pad installed by Mark Deprez and he used a 2 part epoxy with some color mixed in to darken it to match the finish. Bill Malcolm

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

I would use a finish such as True Oil to finish wood after it has been sealed, but I would use a sealer, often called sander sealer, to seal the wood. On end grain at the butt a couple of coats would not hurt. I would also look at the receiver end of the sock and the forearm. You might discover several areas of unprotected wood. Sealer is fairly cheap, dries in about 20 minutes and can be put on with a brush. Put some car wax on the finished areas next to the unfinished wood and it a little sealer runs over on the finish, quickly wipe it off with a rag.

Pat Ireland

8. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

I think sealer is just watered down finish so it will soak in better. For example, Tru-oil with mineral spirits mixed in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.