1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Stock Screw Trouble

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by grntitan, Apr 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I have a buttpad screw on my BT100 that has stripped out. What can i fill the hole with and then be able to re-thread the screw in? Any other options i am open for as well. Do they make something at the average hardware store like a thread insert that would work?-----Matt

2. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

hardware stores have a insert that can be pressed in and then use a cap screw.

tony

3. Squeal

Squeal Member

fill the holes with 5 minute epoxy. Let them dry overnight and then drill them out to the right size for your screws.

4. skip

skip Member

Jam a toothpick in there with the screw.

5. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I have used the toothpicks, works pretty good. I have also filled the hole. The best solution is as Kenent1 said. Go get some inserts with cap screws. I bought some at Lowes but they were brass and you can only tighten so tight, get the steel ones, they are cheap and the fix is solid and permanent, these are what you would be looking for. You may need to substitute different screw heads depending on your situation.
    [​IMG]
    When I was in your situation a nice man on here by the name of Ed Yanchok sent me some no charge. If you want these I will pass on the favor just PM me your address

6. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I have a tray full of 1/4" walnut dowels cut approx. 1" to 1 1/4" and I do as Mr. Shootlow describes. I do like installing steel/brass inserts though if the shooter has 2 different thickness pads (summer and winter).

7. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

CubanCigar2000----I really apreciate the thoughtfullness of that offer but i beat you to the punch and got that exact thing at the hardware store and it is already installed on both screws. I liked how it worked so much i did two other guns of mine as well. I would like to thank everyone else who offered help as well. I love this site for there is no problem that can't be solved with all this help. Thanks to all.-----Matt

8. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Toothpick or a #8 plastic wall anchor both work just fine.

HM

9. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Plastic wall anchor?? Thats a great idea Halfmile

Mr Cubancigar

10. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I sell an insert set that is pretty slick AND when finished you can remove the pad numerous times without it ever hogging-out the hole. The inserts are sandable too, so you can make them perfectly flush.

[​IMG]

Whiz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.