1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

stock scratch

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by tback, Jul 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tback

tback TS Member

just bought a caesar guerini summit 32 o/u. bought it from a gunbroker in georgia and had it shipped to a dealer near me in philly. great wood. shot it a couple of times and now I notice a scratch about 3 inches in length that I assume I did. any suggestions regarding repair. yes its just a gun, but you like it to look good!

2. nipper

nipper TS Member

look in phone book under funiture restoration/repair,they have the ability to fill in scratches with colored wax sticks and can probably match it where you will not notice it.

bill

3. Dr. Honk

Dr. Honk Member

Try a light coating of linseed oil and rub into wood until you feel the heat from friction of your hand or fingers against the wood.
    If you don't get the friction you have applied too much. Wipe off the excess and keep rubbing.

The first time I had my Summit out of the case, a fellow trap shooter wanted to look at my new gun and scratched it on his jacket zipper.

Rubbed the scratch with Linseed oil and you can't even notice it now. It is still there, it just does not stick out.

Dr. Honk

4. country gentleman

country gentleman Member

No wax sticks. Rub the oil. Todd

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Can't answer question until we know what kind of finnish is on gun. HMB

6. nipper

nipper TS Member

and also how deep the "scratch" is more important

bill

7. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Todd's right no wax you want a furniture oil or a urethane modified oil. I finish a lot of Guerini's several each month. Most of them are a urethane/oil satin finish; if it's on the surface and has not broken the surface of the wood leave it. If it's gone through the surface use oil and 600 grit at the same time. As a quick fix old English scratch remover works some times.
    Joe Goldberg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.