1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Stock scratch removal

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Johnpic, Apr 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Johnpic

Johnpic Member

What is the best way to remove some very fine surface scratches on
    a Perazzi MX-2000 new stock with a standard Perazzi finish?
    I did do a search.

Thank you,
    John

2. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

John.... IF they are VERY fine scratches, a little fine auto rubbing compound will probably take them out. Be gentle and don't use too much pressure while applying and rubbing them out. Do the entire stock, not just the scratches so the finish is even. Follow that up with 3-4 coats of Johnsons paste wax, and you should be good to go. If they are a little deeper scratches than "fine" ones, apply 3-4 coats of Johnsons paste wax and let it go at that. Don't substitute waxes! Johnson's is a carnuba paste wax, and that's what you are after... Worked for me... Dan Thome (Trap2)

3. Johnpic

Johnpic Member

Thanks Dan.
    I read your posts on this forum all the time and your suggestions
    always seems to be right on. The scratches are very fine so I will
    give the rubbing compound and wax a try.

John

4. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

You're welcome, John. Let us know how it works for you...... Dan

5. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

John, Rubbing compound will work well but be careful as you can go too deep too fast. You might try auto polishing paste first as it is much less agressive. Then follow with the wax as Dan suggests. Marc

6. Johnpic

Johnpic Member

Thanks Marc.
    I will try both ways if needed.

John

7. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

There is a product made by McGuires called "Mirror Glaze #7". It is amazing as to how it will make scratches in auto paint seem to magically vanish. Even some that are fairly large. There are no harsh chemicals, it can even be painted right over. Goes on like car wax, let dry (2 to 3 min), wipe off residue and my bet would be you no longer see the scratches. It will not damage a varnish or poly finish. If you have an oil finish I would not try it. About $9 at most auto supply stores or auto body paint stores. If you try it let us know the results. I have some but do not have a scratched stock to try. Marc

8. Johnpic

Johnpic Member

Thanks Dan and Marc.The scratches are gone. The rubbing compond worked the best.Some of the scratches were a little deeper than I thought so the rubbing
    compond worked very well.I tried the auto polish on the the lighter scratches
    and it also worked. I finished it off with the Johnsons wax and I was good to go.

John Piccone

9. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

John..... Glad it worked out ok for you.... Dan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.