1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

***** STOCK REPAIR *****

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jamie65, Apr 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jamie65

jamie65 Member

I have been using minwax stainable wood filler for deep scratches (1/32"-1/16") on stocks and forends the repairs look good untill i do my staining, i have a hard time matching the repair and the regular unrepaired wood even through they have been sanded and cleaned the same way. any tips on different products or technique releated items? thanks

2. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Try and lift the grain with a wet rag, and some heat applied with a iron. If the scratches, and gouges are deep enough to where you can't lift the grain to the surface, use Acraglas or clear epoxy to fill them on the bare wood. If you stain the wood, stain just the indention first so the stain is under the clear filler. Then sand smooth to the wood surface with a block, and sandpaper. Stain and finish the wood, and it will be hard to see the deep scratches, because the finish will be smooth.

If you are trying to just fill the finish at the scratched area it is very difficult on the hard epoxy, and acrylic finishes. Usually does not bond well. Oil finishes will be easier, due to the fact that the oil will bond with the oil finish.

Click the link for Brownell's. Jon

3. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

You may have to let the stain dry, before applying the epoxy.

4. jamie65

jamie65 Member

yes i will let it completly dry before applying epoxy / thanks

5. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

Another tip for raising a dent is to cover the damaged area with a wet rag and put it into a microwave for about 5 minutes (no metal attached). Works for me. Also be sure to put in a cup of water along with the aforementioned. The cup of water acts to keep the rag wet and creates a "steam cabinet". You want to leave it in the microwave for about 20 minutes "after it's done" to let the steam do it's work. Also cleans the microwave. Anything left in the microwave can easily be wiped out with a paper towel as the steam has loosened up any previous dirt or food particles.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.