1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Stock removal // cleaning?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by wayneo, Dec 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

How often do most of you remove your stocks on O/U's and SBT's for cleaning the inside of the receiver and the trigger group? 5, 10, 20,000 rounds, or just when it starts acting different? It's snowing and I might pull some stocks off today.

Wayne

2. captin

captin TS Member

wayneo, I do mine once a year unless there is a problem. Have done it twice but did not see any junk inside.

I Take off the stock and wash it out with break parts creaner (spray can) takes me a full can then blow it out fire pin holes and all. with air hose then soak it with tri flow let it drip then blow with air hose again then a little greese in a few places and put it back together.

captin

3. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Always when getting a new gun and once in a while after that. But really not necessary more than once a year unless you shoot a ridiculous amount. I also use Gun Scrubber and it works like a charm.

4. chipking

chipking TS Member

I don't have a set point but usually it works out to about 4 times a year. Just remember not to let it become a ho-hum routine where you just wipe it down and put the stock back on. I did and ended up NOT seeing or NOT noting a hammer spring guide cap that was loosening at least once. I found it the hard way when it finally caused the gun to fail in the middle of a shoot. It really does not take long to give it a good cleaning and look for loose or missing stuff.

--- Chip King ---

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I do mine a couple times a year but ALWAYS after being exposed to rain/snow or drastic temp changes that may cause excessive moisture buildup. It only takes one screw up to have rust.

6. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Watch the air gun when blowing out the inards. I blew a small spring out with too much air presure.

7. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Wayne when you get it off clean the wood with alcohol. Then when dry take some finish thinned with a bit of mineral spirits and liberally brush all the internal wood inletting after a few minutes wipe all excess off with a towel or paper towels. This will help to protect the wood from the oils and solvents used on our guns. For this I prefer Kem Pac pro custom oil available from Brownells.
    Joe

8. Grizzlyman

Grizzlyman Member

Once per year clean/inspect works for me. I use CLP in an aerosol can and spray liberally, then blow it out with about 50 lbs of compressed air. Repeat as needed.

The tip about using a thinned finish for the interior wood is good!

9. Rebel Sympathy

Rebel Sympathy Well-Known Member

Cleaning is something you should never skimp on. Do it at least once every five years - more often if you want to.

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.