1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Stock refinishing

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by smoked, Mar 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smoked

smoked TS Member

What is the average cost to have a stock refinished with an oil rub...Quality job

2. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

The gentleman in this area who has done a lot of trap stocks and is doing another for me right now charges $150, but I've often told him that he works too cheap! Everyone who has used him is amazed both by his workmanship and his prices.

Ed

3. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Quit telling him that ED. The price will probably go up on mine. LOL. Bulge.

4. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Ed,

There is a retired cabinet maker that lives down the road from me that does some damn fine work. He likes doing gunstocks because of the generally better than average wood. I swear he'd do it for free if we let him.

We don't push a lot of work on him, and he lets us know when he's ready to take on another job. We keep him a guarded secret and pay him $250.00 for each stock set.

ss

5. gyrine

gyrine TS Member

I am trying to find someone to refinish to original specs a Win era Perazzi TM1 stock. No wood damage, the finish has just cracked over the years. Thanks, Rich

6. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

gyrine sent a PM

7. coveybuster

coveybuster Member

I can vouch for Ed's guy @ $150.00. I got my 687 SP II back about two weeks ago and it is beautiful. I'm sending him a BT-99 in the fall and I don't care if the price goes up. The work is that nice.

8. gyrine

gyrine TS Member

Please, contact info re "Ed's Guy". You can send me a PM. Thanks, gyrine, Rich Strickland

9. truthseeker

truthseeker Member

I am also interested.

Please post some pictures of the work you guys have had done.

10. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

"My guy" is Paul Altland, owner of the Timberland Stock Shop near Hanover, Pennsylvania. This is a one-man operation and you will find Paul very humble but very knowedgeable about woods and how to work them. He builds custom stocks and does his own finishing and checkering. As "coveybuster" and several others have stated, his work is very good. Paul's phone number is (717) 637-4978.

Below are two photos of my stock. It is the one on the bottom in the first picture, which is "before." The second picture is "after."

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

He is refinishing an 870 Competition for me right now that had Remington's 1980s muddy-looking "satin" finish on it. It is supposed to be done any day now and I'll post some before and afters of it, too.

Ed

11. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

Contact Al Jamison, Jr. in Sullivan, Mo. Does excellent work and you will not be disappointed.Done many stocks for me and they come back perfect. His number is 573-860-2479 and his address is 10046 Arbor Rd.

Good shooting!!

12. coveybuster

coveybuster Member

Here is my 687 SP II before and after. Paul finished it up about 2 weeks ago.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.