1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Stock Refinishing

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Oscar Ray, Oct 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oscar Ray

Oscar Ray TS Member

Who do you all recommend for refinishing a stock? I have a few that I would like to get redone.

Thanks! Oscar

2. claybuster38

claybuster38 Member

Oscar-- I reccomend that you do it yourself. If they will come off It is easy. just takes time. Sand them down to 400 -dampen them down and hold them over heat or use heat gun to whiscer them. when dry use steel woolto scrub them off.I always use filler to fill the pores. Fuller is the brand I have always used. 400 sand again and steel wool. I like true oil, I Put it on with my hands -- thin layers allow to dry for several days. Use the finest steel wool to lightly smooth up and go again.-- about 7 times through and you will have a thing of beauty. It really needs to cure for about 6 mos. If you a satin lookyou can use the finest steel wool and paste wax. The good part about this kind of finish is if you get a scratch or ding you can sand it out and go over several times and it blends in. Marv White

3. 87AA

87AA TS Member

Oscar,

I agree with claybuster38, refinishing a stock is easy and enjoyable. This is one of the few "gunsmithing" things that people should try themselves. I've finished several pieces with a variety of techniques and products and have been happy with them all. There is a plethora of knowledge out there but I suggest you do a search in the "Restoration" forum over on shotgunworld.com.

4. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

Don Nix, Roscoe,IL. Non better, reasonable, does all the custom work for Kolar.

5. Texas Trap Shooter

Texas Trap Shooter Member

I would recommend Dennis DeVault, he did my MX3 and it turned out absolutely beautiful.

Ron Schroer
    Sun City, TX

6. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

Refinishing can be done with surprising results with a little practice and patience. The pictures below are of a stock I quickly refinished using materials I bought at WalMart. Minwax Helmsman Spar Poly (this is clear gloss, also available in clear satin) and assorted grades of sandpaper. Total cost was about $11 and one spray can will easily do three or more stocks. Marc

<a href="http://s274.photobucket.com/albums/jj271/mbunk/Refinished%20stock/?action=view¤t=RefWood010.jpg" target="_blank"> RefWood010.jpg </a>

<a href="http://s274.photobucket.com/albums/jj271/mbunk/Refinished%20stock/?action=view¤t=RefWood009.jpg" target="_blank"> RefWood009.jpg </a>

<a href="http://s274.photobucket.com/albums/jj271/mbunk/Refinished%20stock/?action=view¤t=RefWood007.jpg" target="_blank"> RefWood007.jpg </a>

<a href="http://s274.photobucket.com/albums/jj271/mbunk/Refinished%20stock/?action=view¤t=RefWood008.jpg" target="_blank"> RefWood008.jpg </a>

7. rhett1977

rhett1977 Member

Larry Garroutte at CorKel Arms. He posts on here frequently and is first class. Reasonable prices also

8. Oscar Ray

Oscar Ray TS Member

Thanks for all the input, I never thought about doing it myself but will consider it. If not, I will check with those that you reccomended

Oscar

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.