1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Stock refinishing questions

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Boxer's1, Feb 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boxer's1

Boxer's1 TS Member

I am wanting to refinish my stock, it is stained a light finish right now and i just prefer the darker wood finish. Can anyone tell me, that has done this before, is it a job for a professional? Or can a diy'er do it? If so are their any secrets to doing the checkering? Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

I could write a two page instruction one doing it, but recommend you go to a bookstore or online and buy anyone of a number of excellent books on furniture or gunstock refinishing. Follow the directions very carefully and you'll end up with a nice job.
    One thing you have to remember, it's a labor of love, it's takes time, you can't rush it. Plan on a week of more working on it a few hours every day.

3. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

I could write a two page instruction one doing it, but recommend you go to a bookstore or online and buy anyone of a number of excellent books on furniture or gunstock refinishing. Follow the directions very carefully and you'll end up with a nice job.
    One thing you have to remember, it's a labor of love, it's takes time, you can't rush it. Plan on a week of more working on it a few hours every day.

4. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Not hard to do but requires a lot of time and effort. Also a big job to remove modern finishes, as they are very tough and resistant. More work than most realize. Mask off the checkering.

Don't see how anyone can do it properly in a week. Applying the new finish alone takes more time than one week.

5. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

jbmi gives good advise. Also, forget about your watch. This is a calendar type of job...however long it takes, it takes.

Jb

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.