1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Stock Refinish

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by timb99, Nov 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Left my stock and forearm off with a guy over here in South Africa named Andre Wessels who lives in Bloemfontein.

Since this is kind of an older gun (1988 vintage) and parts are no longer available for it, I was always afraid to put too much money into it. But I think this was worth it.

Before:
    timb99_2008_030389.jpg

After:
    timb99_2008_030391.jpg

timb99_2008_030390.jpg

timb99_2008_030392.jpg

timb99_2008_030393.jpg

timb99_2008_030394.jpg

2. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Very Nice.
    Steve Balistreri

3. Mike Hessong* (MH*)

Mike Hessong* (MH*) Active Member

tim99,

He did a really fine job on refinishing your stock. Brought out lots of figure on the right-hand side of the butt-stock, and I like the lighter color.

Mike* (MH*)

4. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Thanks. I always thought it was a nice looking piece of wood. But I was really surprised when I opened the box and had a look at it. I was expecting the dark color and was just struck by the lighter color and the beauty of the figuring.

5. Nutso

Nutso Member

Very rich in color, nice.

6. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

amazing how much stain was on the older guns. Lighter is better and shows more grain.

7. Mike Hessong* (MH*)

Mike Hessong* (MH*) Active Member

slowdp,

This is exactly what I found on Winchesters I used to shoot. Winchester mixed their stain and finish in the same gun and sprayed them like that. At least it looked that way to me. I found a guy here in Victoria many years ago who did unbelievable high-gloss polyurethane (like glass) finishes, and when I bought a few Winchester Diamond Grades, I had him strip off the factory finish and put on his high-gloss finish, and it is amazing some of the grain and figure the factory covered up with their original finish. Guns looked 100% better. Had him do at least 6 guns like this. Even had him go back and do an older model Pigeon Grade that I could tell was a really nice piece of wood, but he mad it oh so much better !

Mike* (MH*)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.