1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Stock refinish question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by englishupland, Dec 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. englishupland

englishupland Member

I just received my Beretta back from the shop for a stock refinish...
    He did a nice job, but I had asked for semi-gloss, not the oiled/flat finish.
    I did ask him to maintain color..The color is good, but it looks like it is just tru-oil which looks ok but is not what I wanted on this stock..He did some extras for free so I am not going to ask him to redo it...

Is there a way to add a semi-gloss to the truoil finish? Would a oil based spray enamel or laquer work?

Thanks

2. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

I don't understand what you issue is. Please post a pic so we can have an idea of what you're talking about.

3. 4N6PE

4N6PE Member

Don't think that you can get a gloss finish w/o stripping the oil finish and resanding . I had that done to my stock recently.

Ned

4. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

I remember Tru-oil as a gloss finish.

5. pigeon101

pigeon101 Member

You can get a gloss finish with tru oil. You just have to build up a good base on top of the wood. Most oil finishes are in the wood but if you continue to build th oil up on the outside 15 to 20+ coats you can get a very nice gloss/shine to it.

6. high 2

high 2 Member

Why would you not send it back? If I mess up I want the chance to make it right. Customers in this economy are very valuable asset. Larry

7. kehrby

kehrby Active Member

I use Tru Oil for all my guns and I can get either finish. All you need is one more wet coat and you have a nice glossy finish. You might try buffing what you have and depending on how many coats were there could bring it up to a gloss.

Steve

8. englishupland

englishupland Member

I am not sure how many coats they did, but I know they do plenty of this kind of work.

Because it came back to me finished, can I just add a few more coats without sanding to increase the gloss?....

Or, should I wait a couple weeks for a little more drying time and use some 3m finesse polishing compound on the existing work?

I'd like it glossy, mirror...Not as far as Weatherby, but approaching it...

Thanks

9. gordy h

gordy h Member

Keep adding THIN coats of true oil,Like was said 20 coats,I lightly polish with 0000 steel wool after each coat then wipe with a tack cloth before the next coat.
    I also add the coats with my fingers, They will get sticky so clean your hands with WD40.
    When you reach your goal,coat with a good wax, like Birchwood Casey gun stock wax. It works for me. Butch H

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

Use caution. You said the finish looks like Tru Oil but actually you are not sure what the finish is and I doubt that many professional refinishers would use Tru Oil. Sounds like the problem had to do with word meaning. The term "semi-gloss" is not very specific. Call the gentleman and explain the situation. Explain that you are very sorry for not being more specific and ask his advice.

Pat Ireland

11. high 2

high 2 Member

Great minds think alike Pat

12. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

Pat's right on....I can't think of anybody who would put in the work for a true hand sanded, in the wood, oil finish if a poly finish was requested. You may just have a matt poly finish.

I don't believe your run of the mill Beretta has an oil finish no matter the gloss. I do know that a 682 Gold (greystone) gun I owned had a very matt finish but it was definitely poly...you could tell easy enough if you scuffed it ;-)

Call your stock guy and ask him what was used on the stock. Even if it was an oil finish, there are a wide variety of products used and often you can't/shouldn't mix them on a stock.

13. warpspeed

warpspeed Member

Pat is absolutely dead on right here & high2 gave some good advice too.

If I sent a stock to be redone and asked for gloss and got matte I'd be calling as soon as I opened the box. Not angry or anything just with the question of I asked for one thing and it looks like another.

14. englishupland

englishupland Member

It is indeed tru-oil....just not as glossy as I'd like...

Looking for suggestions to gloss it up myself.

15. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

Try "Stock Sheen" by Birchwood Casey

16. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

If you have a Tru-oil finish and it isn't glossy then either it has been dulled or the grain in the wood is not filled. Is the finish glassy smooth? If the grain isn't filled just keep adding more coats till the grain is filled. When the finish becomes smooth it will be glossy. It can dulled to get the desired look.

17. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

If you are sure it's Tru-Oil, you can simply apply more coats until the desired finish is obtained.

Finishing a stock with a quality, durable finish is not easy. This is why we pay people to do it for us. Even so, you can do it. Take your time and apply a thin coat. Let cure and sand it with very fine sand paper. Since you already have a professional base, you don't have to go through the de-whiskering process.

Look at the finish very closely. Determine if the grain has been filled in. If it hasn't, you'll need to fill it to get the shine you want. If you don't, it will look shiny, but won't look professional. Successive coats will fill in the grain. Once the grain is filled, you can polish it to a high gloss.

18. englishupland

englishupland Member

Rastoff,
    What is the polishing procedure??...The grain is filled and smooth, but it is just not as shiny as I would like..

It is not a run of the mill Beretta...Handmade SO series sidelock

19. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

In that case send it back.

20. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

Alright, if it were my gun this is what I would do...(remember that I like to finish wood and it can be a tedious process)

Since you are sure that it was done with Tru-Oil, you will need some Tru-Oil. Remove the stock from the gun. You will need an environment that is as dust free as you can find. I usually put a dowel in a vice and put the stock on that. This way I can get to all sides and don't have to touch it after application.

Using a lint free cloth, like an old t-shirt, apply a thin coat of Tru-Oil. Be sure to get complete coverage and don't get any in the checkering. You might want to tape off the checkering with some blue painters tape, but you don't have to. Let this cure at least one day.

When you come back the next day, examine the stock in a good light. Does it have the look you want? Probably not. Check for evenness of finish. If you find any flaws, remove them with #0000 steel wool. Be sure to use a cheese cloth or similar after the steel wool to get rid of any residue. Nothing looks worse on a nice stock than a rusty spot from some piece of steel you didn't remove an put finish over. There may be better products to use, but this is what I do.

Keep the process going until you achieve the finish you desire. Every time you use some abrasive, you will probably have to put another coat of Tru-Oil on. The final finish, and best, will result if you only use a dry t-shirt to wipe it down and see what you want. Then you can apply a wax like Howard's to give it a little extra protection.

This is what I do and I'm no expert. I'm sure there are others that can add to this.

This is one of the stocks I did:
    StockLeftsmall.jpg

I used tung oil on this one, but since yours has Tru-Oil on it, you should stick with that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.