1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

stock reapair help????

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gncc600, Dec 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gncc600

gncc600 TS Member

I have an HK Fabarms Gold Lion Sporting Clays gun with the carbon fiber finish on the barrels. I loaned it out for someone to shoot trap and I guess they got too much powder in one of their shells which let off a large caliber rifle size boom. Anyway.... long story short it chipped off a small piece of the stock on the very top where it meets with the receiver. He did not notice it was missing until we had came home so the piece was never recovered. Its almost a perfect chip on both sides around the safety. I could probably sand it down and refinish but it wouldn't meet up with the receiver at the top. Since this is a pretty rare gun and finding another stock would be almost impossible unless I bought a new one from the factory which would not be worth it. Does anyone know of anything I could so to make it look as good as possible?

2. WarEagle2017

WarEagle2017 Active Member

Brownell's acraglas works pretty good, It is the same compound that is used for glass bedding rifles, I repaired a 300 Win mag, with it that had the same king of chips out of the wood in that same area, it comes with a color dye pack that you have to experiment with to get a simular color, ( tip try to match the lightest color of your wood ) the 300 Wim Mag was done 27 years ago and still looks ok, it can be sanded and you can put a finish on it.<a href="http://s108.photobucket.com/albums/n37/drhuner/?action=view┬Ąt=t081003002.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>
    http://www.brownells.com/

3. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

I have had work done by these folks and have be very pleased. Check out their web site. Merry Christmas Dave Bishop

4. gncc600

gncc600 TS Member

thanks for the advice guys...top notch

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

Brownell's acraglas would be my first choice but two part epoxy glues sold at Wall Mart will work OK. I would put a few dimples with a sharp very small punch or nail in the bottom of the chipped area to give more surface for the epoxy to bond. At a craft store you should be able to find some dry pigments of different colors to match the color of the epoxy to the stock. Experiment with a few drops and colors until you are satisfied. A piece of tape can be used to make a dam at the front of the chipped space. It will be difficult to get the epoxy up to the same contour of the stock. Lock the stock in a vice at an angle that makes the epoxy flow level. Protect the adjacent undamaged areas with thin tape.

Pat Ireland

6. WarEagle2017

WarEagle2017 Active Member

Acraglas also comes in a Gel,which would work better, to form to the contours of the stock ( like Pat said )But be very careful,remove the stock from the reciever and use tape ( again Like Pat Mentioned ) to Dam it from going into the reciever Iron area. I dont understand what Pat said about using tape in the adj areas, you want the glas to bond to those areasthen sand it to the correct contours and refinish. Acraglas is good stuff but do not let in get in contact with ANYTHING !!! that you dont want it to stick too, if you were to leave the stock on the reciever while doing this there is a chance that it would bond the two together and it would crack again whenever you tried to seperate the two. Good Luck Tony

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.