1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Stock Question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by gold40, Apr 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gold40

gold40 Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Seeking some advice...

I recently acquired a Browning Citori "Trap model" with a high comb(monte carlo?). It also has a high trap rib. I haven't patterned it yet, and need to do so. I did shoot a round of Sporting Clays with it, and did fairly well considering it was a new gun, and trap stocked, as long as I "floated the clay" above the rib/bead.

I have to press my chck down hard against the stock comb to have a normal sight picture. It feels awkward and un-natural. When I compare the comb on this new gun to my old (skeet & SC)Citori, the new one is clearly much higher; over 1".

I plan to use this new shotgun primarily for Sporting Clays, not trap. Is it a good idea for me to reduce the height of the comb (file, sand, & refinish)until I get a more normal sight picture? Is the gun still likely to "shoot high"? It appears a 1/2" reduction would provide a better fit for me.

What are your thoughts? THANKS.

2. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

Feb 21, 2007
    You don't want to have to think about "floating" the bird in any shooting game. Some shots have a small window, and it's got to shoot where you look.
    Pattern your current gun at a given yardage and do the same with the new gun. Experiment with comb heights if it has an adjustible comb. Shoot some skeet and see how the gun does. Usually a high shooting trap gun won't work, especially on rabbits and targets below your feet, but who knows?
  3. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Dec 9, 2006
    tery mid west call them, best not to ruin a good monte carlo stock. Call any stock fitters they may be able to trade. Another good opption if you want to fiddle with stock modification, try Wenigs semi inletted stocks, cut grind sand until you like it.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.