1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Stock Problem - Help ! Ideas

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by DOWN UNDER HUNTER, Jun 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DOWN UNDER HUNTER

DOWN UNDER HUNTER TS Member

Hi guys !

I recently purchased my dream shotgun. Browning B25 Custom sideplate M2 engraving.

The gun has a field style comb with std pistol grip. The stock is 14 1/2 " of just wood ! I have put a .6 decelorater pad on it, but stil LOP is 15".

As I am six ft and have shot 14.5" most of my life the stock is clearly too long in its current length. It also has a very thin comb that has quite alot of drop at the heel. As such the gun often give me a kick in the cheekbone

After having a world champion skeet shooter go over the gun with me he suggested 2 choices. 1. Have the stock cut to 14.5 and see how it goes ? 2. Have a stock maker make a target style stock for it with adjustment functions and a more level comb. He thinks the original stock wont give me the consistant gun mount I need for sporting clays.

The original stock is magnificent and I would take it off and put it in the safe.

As for a new design could you guys suggest a good template or style ( brand ) featuring all the options needed to overcome some of the problems. I have never owned a gun with the target shooting features of the modern clay guns. I also like palm swells

Any help appreciated. I will them go and look at suggestions first hand.

Many thanks

DUH

2. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Tell your stockmaker how you plan to use the gun, have them fit you, and the resulting stock should work well for you.

3. pjh

pjh Member

On many Skeet & field guns I have put adjustable comb in and used pins that were about .010" undersized. This allows you to angle the comb to a parallel position.
    I was sure to use spacers to support the angle. Not a big deal. Peter

4. Rods Custom Stocks

Rods Custom Stocks Member

Call me at 419-347-6403 and I will help you.

Rod w/Rods Custom Stocks............

5. Kemen053

Kemen053 Member

DUH, track down Kevin Wright,he is out at Ballarat and should be in the phone book or someone at your club would have his contact number.There are a couple of stck makers out here ,but only one gets it right all the time.Couso was right about consistant gun fit,and if you need kick-eez pads ,Rod (above)stocks them at a price you can't get anywhere Australia even after postage.Regards ross

6. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

DUH,

You have at least two stock-dimensional problems and possibly a problem with your gun mount.

The "cheek slap" you are experiencing is most likely caused by the angle of the end of your stock - the stock's "pitch." That problem may be increased if you mount your gun too low on your shoulder and the fact that your comb angles upward toward the front. Peter's suggstion to make the comb more parallel with the barrel may help.

The length of your stock is correct (for you) when there is about 1.5 inches separating your nose and thumb with the gun mounted. This separation should exist with your head and neck in a natural, erect, posture and not tilted or leaned forward.

If you have a stock fitter or a stock maker that knows stock fitting and sporting clays stock fitting available, he should be able to make your stock fit without the need to have a custom stock made although custom stocks are the best choice if time and money are not critical.

pjh/Peter offered a suggestion that may allow you to reduce the upward angle of the comb and make it closer to being parallel with the rib. The rising caracter of field stock combs is not a primary cause of cheek slap but it can increase the problem.

Rollin

7. DOWN UNDER HUNTER

Where are you based Ross ?

Your right the advice came from the great man.

I guess I want some suggestions on good stocks on the market on different guns so I can go get my hands on one and see if they feel right.

I had hold of a model 10 miroku sporter yesterday and after speaking with Kevin yesterday he told me he was a consultant on the design of that very stock. It had the turned down target style grip. Felt nice.

Any ideas ?

DUH

8. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Either it fits or not. Put the oem stock in the safe and have one made. Not cheap ,but the only way to go. Jeff

9. DOWN UNDER HUNTER

Rollin,

I see you have alot of experience in this area. Many thanks for the insight.

As far as altering the original stock with a adjustable cheekpiece, I agree in a perfect world that would be the way to go but the stock is worth too much on this gun in its original format from an investment standpoin. Thus I feel that the custom stock would be the way to go. I just have to get my hands on a few like perazzi, Gamba , D 10 and see which one I like the feel of ?

Then I'm guessing I could get the stockmaker to make a design to suit the reciever ? The stockmaker suggested that I might be better putting the fancy gun away and go buy a target gun to flog out instead. I just personally would like to shoot this one.

Can anyone suggest a stock design that has palm swell, adjusting comb and a target verticle grip that I should look at ?

DUH

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

kevin wright gun stocks

kevin wright gunsmith

kevin wright gunstocks

kevin wright stock maker

kevin wright stockmaker
kevin wright stockmaker victoria

shotgun but stock maker in victoria

shotgun stock combs kevin wright