1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Stock positioning systems update

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jimmyc, May 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimmyc

Jimmyc TS Member

Called Ray today. After a rather long discussion we decided to try the "stock" add a rib 1/2" high. I was assured that if I didn't like it we could taper one so I said let's try it. Ray was very helpful and I can't wait to see the rib as well as some other goodies I ordered to try out. I feel like the first time I talked to Ray we just didn't understand each other and I got the wrong impression. So again I will apologize to sps/aar and for the record Ray and I will do business and be friends. I'll add pics to this thread in the near future. Now for the funny part.... I actually proofread my message and had tried to abbreviate "stock positioning systems" to "stock pos systems" but decided that might send the wrong message.
    Jimmy

2. braunpro

braunpro TS Member

Jimmyc If you and the rest of the troops want to change the name to SPS that,s ok with me. Name's don't mean anything it's the quality and price that counts.

3. Jimmyc

Jimmyc TS Member

Update......
    Will return the rib. I'm not impresses w/the fit or quality. I held off returning it because I wanted a few friends to see it and get their opinions. Sorry but I'm sticking to keen sights.
    Jimmy

4. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

Ok, so your not impress (shocker), but what is about the quality or fit that you do not like and what were these friend's opinions?

Bryan

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Pics of the fit so we can see for ourselves??

As "calkidd" stated, big shocker you were not happy.

6. Jimmyc

Jimmyc TS Member

<a href="http://s930.photobucket.com/albums/ad149/jimmyc300/Mobile%20Uploads/?action=view&current=65cf24a8.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://s930.photobucket.com/albums/ad149/jimmyc300/Mobile%20Uploads/?action=view&current=2d375b47.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://s930.photobucket.com/albums/ad149/jimmyc300/Mobile%20Uploads/?action=view&current=d041a2d9.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://s930.photobucket.com/albums/ad149/jimmyc300/Mobile%20Uploads/?action=view&current=c75452cc.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://s930.photobucket.com/albums/ad149/jimmyc300/Mobile%20Uploads/?action=view&current=7c427a4c.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

7. grntitan

I see some of the things you are pointing out. I'd have to see it in person to get an idea of how much it stands out. Pics have a way of really making things standout. I do clearly see the overcut areas inside the rib.

I honestly think you wanted to find stuff wrong. You took that attitude towards that company from the very start. Thats my opinion though and it is your money.

8. Jimmyc

Jimmyc TS Member

Here are Some pics showing tge issues I have with the rib.

Pic 1- shows the post. They are not machined flat but are beveled on the edges

Pic 2- shows the cut end of the rib. It is very rough and a whitish color while the rib is black.

Pic 3- More post machining.

Pic 4- Shows a bevel on the rib ramp.

Pic 5- shows machining of first post fwd of the ramp.

You guys use whatever you want. I tried a aar from sps. They are not for me and I will not recommend them at this point. If you all like them then use them. I just prefer the look of tge keensight rib and if I remember a few of y'all we impressed with the pics Ruck posted.
    Jimmy

9. Jimmyc

Jimmyc TS Member

Grntitan,
    I guess my attitude was because I had talked to Ray and he told me what he offered. I then made comments based on that (ex lack of taper to fit rib, etc). I have now seen this rib and these areas stand out to me. Maybe some more than others. As far as making the details stand out I'm using an iPhone to take the pics and it's not a real high quality photo so I think you'll see greater detail in person. And your right it's MY MONEY. I've tried to say that multiple times.

Btw... Was just stated on another thread, by trying this I would've saved a whopping $100 over a purely custom keensights rib.

Jimmy

10. Jimmyc

Jimmyc TS Member

I want to add one thing because I don't want to give the wrong impression.... I have nothing against Ray. I may buy some posts from him. He asked me to give the rib a review. He is a real nice guy and very helpful.
    Jimmy

11. Jimmyc

Jimmyc TS Member

Benchrest,
    The ribs are custom. That's what all the questions and additional charges are for. My gunsmith quoted a price of $275 installled. He deals w/Vikki on a weekly (if not more) basis. If you would choose to order one yourself Vikki will fix you up. I'm choosing to have it installed because I want it to match the existing rib posts and taper exactly. I am also having it fited over the existing ribs tapered portion. By this I mean the ks rib will cover the existing rib completely. As far as pics you have seen a ks rib posted on another thread. Remember I was gonna quietly send the rib back to Ray but you insisted on pics. I tend to shoot (not own) one gun and since I made a major upgrade this year I don't have an add onrib on my gun (my last gun was high rib) But I have several friends that do and have seen tge ribs and know what I want. It's just a matter of getting to my gunsmith for the work, who is about two hours away from my house. But thanks for all your concern Joe (or Ray???).
    Jimmy

Oh and where I'm from shorts and flip flops are the dress code even at the range.

12. Jimmyc

Jimmyc TS Member

Joe, off the KS website.

Ribs come with beads place in your
    desired locations and silicone for rib instillation.
    If you order your rib with a screw hole
    We will send 5 different sizes of screws, just find
    the screw that fits your front bead hole 
    (no extra drilling is needed)

$200 for the rib (1/2 high) plus $25 to taper it. $14.95 shipping.

So apples to apples..
    Aar- $119 rib + $30 for two beads + $22.95 s&h = $161.95

Ks- $220 rib + $14.95 s&h = $234.95 (plus $25 more to taper but we are comparing the same style ribs so we won't add that)

So Joe you are right it's not a $100 difference afterall, it only around $70.
    Jimmy

13. victoria K

victoria K Member

Let me start by saying I have no disrespect or hard feeling toward AddaRib Company and wish them all the best…... (sometimes these threads can take on a life of there own) I do take offence when someone miss representing my company that I have worked HARD for over 13 years to make it what it is today a thriving company with great customer service. Its funny that when Mr Benchrest talks about the other company its the bear minimum cost mentioned but when you talk about my ribs you take EVERY COST available. Tapered or custom widths, Optional beads and masking tape are all just that Optional. We can buy aluminum in 5/16" 3/8" and 1/2 wide so there is no charge for those widths. We can make any other width or tapered width they just need to be machined down from a bigger size of aluminum and that is why there is a extra $25.00 machining cost involved. Our keensights rib 3/8 to 1" High in 5/16" 3/8" or 1/2" width and side slotted is $214.95 that includes shipping and insurance a front screw hole if you so desire, with 5 different sized of screw, bead installed in your desired locations with two color options, a divot installed in the underside of the rib to go over the mid bead so it doesn’t have to be removed and silicone. A Rib under 3/8" tall with everything the $214.95 rib comes with except no side slotting would be $164.95

if anyone has any questions don’t hesitate to give me a call or email Vicki Keen (661)703-1865

14. Calkidd

Jimmy no one "insisted" on pictures. Ray merely asked why you felt this way and it was Grntitan that asked for pictures.

As you so eloquently put it you wanted to "quietly" send the rib back, but then you make this comment... "I'm not impresses w/the fit or quality." You can't make comments like that after what you have said about his business and not expect to be called out on it. Then on top of that you submit photos taken from a cell phone where we have a nice sharp picture of your table.

Bryan

15. Jimmyc

Jimmyc TS Member

Bite me Brian. Quit your whining. I was asked by ray good or bad to report. Guess y'all just got your butt handed to you by Vikki so your best bet is to shut up. buy what you want cause my money's spent on quality.
    Jimmy

16. Calkidd

Jimmie, you're telling me to quit whining?....That's rich.

17. Jimmyc

Jimmyc TS Member

Brian,
    Yes I am. Btw learn to read names and spell them back.
    Jimmy

18. grntitan

"Brian, Yes I am. Btw learn to read names and spell them back"

You better quit while your ahead Jimmy. Your a piece of work no doubt.

Its Bryan and wasn't the whole point of this thread you whinning about the rib you received? Thats sure what it read like.

19. Calkidd

Jimmie, I find it ironic that you inform me what I am doing and what I need to check. Just so you can understand, I misspelled your name on purpose since you misspelled mine. After all, just like you, I type my name under my posts. But apparently you cannot take your own advise, so maybe just like Grntitan suggested, quit while you're ahead.

I am done, good day.

BrYan.

20. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I have been involved in trapshooting for over 35 years, you will run across products that are superior in quality and many more that are not equal them and the price usually reflects that ... Do Not ask for an opinion if you don't want it because you'll probably get it anyway and many more people will be able to read about it and judge it based on what they see ... The proof is in the pudding and those who make products that other people will see and ask about better be careful to make them to the degree that they can be proud to display them ... The pictures above do not show anything I would pay to have on my gun, thats for sure ... Quality Control must of been sleeping when that was made ... Just my opinion based on experience ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
how to shorten stock with a stock positioning system
sps stock positioning systems

stock positioning system

stock positioning systems

stock positioning systems review

stock postion system review
stockpositioning co
stockpositioningsystem