1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Stock pitch

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gordy h, Aug 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gordy h

gordy h Member

OK,What happens when you add a spacer under the recoil pad and it has an angle to it? ive seen this but don't understand what it 's for? I know it changes the pitch, but what happens to the POI? Butch H

2. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

If the position of the head on the stock comb doesn't change, the POI shouldn't change. The thickness of the spacer may change the relationship between the shooter's eye and the rib and THAT may change the POI.

The purpose of the spacer is to bring the surface of the butt pad into full contact with the shooter's shoulder pocket so the stock doesn't torque up or down during recoil.

MK

3. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

before I purchased my PFS. I did not realize how much the toe of the stock was digging and pivoting on my shoulder. A good way to understander pitch is

Place your hand on the wall with your fingers only. Give a quick push. most likely they will slip. now place your all your fingers and palm, repeat.

kinda the same as pitch on the stock.

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

There is negative pitch and positive pitch depending on the angle of the butt pad. By changing the pitch you can increase or decrease the amount of contact the butt pad makes with your shoulder. This will increase or decrease the amount of felt recoil. When you get it right the gun will be more user friendly. HMB

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

Recoil drives the gun straight back. The gun will keep moving in that direction until it meets some resistance (shoulder). After meeting the resistance, the direction the gun will move depends on the angle of the resistance. The angle that the gun moves after encountering the shoulder is a major factor in felt recoil. Changing the pitch will change this force angle. It is a matter of simple force vectors.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.