1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Stock Pitch?? + neutral or - ??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by checker, Mar 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. checker

checker Member

Stock LOP recent thread by smsnyder has been cussed & discussed at lenght.....what is scoop on stock pitch? The relationship (angle) between line of sight along top of rib and butt stock. Are most butt stocks neutral 90 degree angle? Why would you put + or - pitch on the stock?

[​IMG]

2. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

One reason is a barrel chested person or a large breasted one whe doesn't want to be poked by either the toe or heel of the pad.

Ed Yanchok

3. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

You have the right amount of pitch when the top and bottom of your recoil pad make contact with your shoulder pocket at the same time.

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

You adjust the pitch so the gun becomes user friendly. When it slaps you in the face it's time to adjust the pitch. If you stand the gun up in a door way with the butt on the floor the muzzle should be about 2 to 3 inches away from the wall. That would be negative pitch and is about right for most shooters. HMB

5. dimapower

dimapower Member

Correct - positive pitch results in the barrel tilting away from the wall.

Recently installed a new stock on my MX2000. It seemed to be hitting my cheek bone harder than the previous stock. I shaved some positive pitch into the lower part of my thick Kick EEZ and now the recoil more perpendicular to my body (i.e., straight back).

6. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

I am big chested and I take 4 to 5 inches of down pitch.
    steve balistreri

7. Mr.M

Mr.M Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

One of the most misunderstood, ignored and important components of the gun fit formula. Also one of the easiest to experiment with and prove before making any permanent changes to the wood, pad, or spacers. I won't go into the tutorial here, but if you suspect the pitch is wrong for you, loosen the pad screws and place a spacer (washers, comb spacers, layers of old shell boxes) between the pad and the wood to correct the pitch in the direction you want. Go shoot it. If the discomfort is gone, you've proven that pitch was a problem and can now make the appropriate permanent changes, or just leave the old layers of shell box there and shoot on. If you choose the latter, at least trim them up a little so the flaps aren't hanging out quite so far.

There is no standard formula for pitch since we all have different body structure. Very important for women and youngsters that pitch be adjusted to their body.

Mike

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

There is an additional problem finding the correct pitch. Most shooters mount their guns in about the same place on their shoulder each time but rarely the exact same place. Different areas of your shoulder require different pitches. I keep telling myself I need to practice a consistent gun mount. I think I will do that someday.

Pat Ireland

9. BabyB

BabyB TS Member

What happens if you have an 870 with a composite stock that the rim pad fits down inside of the stock - any ideas?

Thanks

10. checker

checker Member

Thanks Mr.M and Pat....Making sense now....Pat missed seeing you today at Triangle.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

why put pitch in stock for shooing trap