1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Stock pitch and recoil

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by joe kuhn, Apr 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

This pitch is bad for recoil because the gun is free to go up into the shooter's face when you shoot:

gun is here(\)

Gun is pointed to left. The back slash (\) represents the pitch at the recoil pad. Had to put parens around it or this site will eat the back slash upon saving.

This pitch is good for reducing recoil:

gun is here(/)

How much of the good pitch you need is a matter for testing. I use washers at the top pad screw (may need to be longer) for testing and then purchase several pitch spacers to match. Use a bench grinder to carefully size them to fit.

To remember think 'forward slash' to move forward to pain free shooting.

2. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

...........(\) vs (/)..............which way is the gun pointed?

3. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Old Cowboy , Looks like the gun is pointed to the left. I believe Joe has it right.

4. puablo

puablo Well-Known Member

definitely helps reduce recoil to the face!

5. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Too much pitch either way is bad for the jaw!

Hap

6. jrb100

jrb100 Member

Your stance and body/face struture will determine comfortable stock pitch .

joe

7. 100after9

100after9 TS Member

AMEN someone who finally gets the pitch thing .... I have explained it for years and I have had guys tell me how wrong I am... until the try it ... It will stop you getting for lack of better terms wacked in the face ... make a wedge out of plasctic or wood trace the but end of the stock for fit... usually about an 1/8 of inch top end and at the bottom about a 1/4 of an inch... good luck and great shooting

8. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

How to measure the pitch on a Rocker pad?

9. joe kuhn

Measure the thickness at one end of the pad versus the other. If same, there is no pitch. If it's thicker on top, when mounted on a gun, then it has good pitch. I don't remember the name for that and I believe it's measured by stock fitters in degrees.

I've heard of some guys setting the gun's butt pad on the ground next to a wall and measuring the distance from the wall to the bbl at the bead. That gives you a relative measurement when you change the pitch so you can know where you're at.

The idea, as Hap points out, is to not go too far. Correct pitch until the face slapping goes away, then stop. You could go too far, and then come back.

10. KeepWoodOnWood

KeepWoodOnWood Member

Perhaps I'm not reading 100after9's instructions correctly, but

"make a wedge ... about an 1/8 of inch top end and at the bottom about a 1/4 of an inch"

would seem to contradict

"This pitch is good for reducing recoil:

gun is here(/)"

from the original post.

Ron

11. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

Pitch has more to do with recoil than anything. I have also told fellows about pitch when they complain about recoil or cheekslap.
    That why I couldn't understand why guys complain about win.101's kicking hard. All you have to do is find the correct pitch for you. I have never had a problem with recoil since an old gunsmith told me years ago about pitch and it has worked for me on shotguns and highpower rifles every since. Wild Bill

12. joe kuhn

Yes, I wonder if 100after9 got something reversed or maybe he's got too much pitch and is bringing it back to what works as in the other thread titled 'Bruised cheek help'.

13. Joe Smoke

Joe Smoke Member

I have a concave pad, and I'm sure just the bottom 1/3 is in contact with my shoulder to get my good POI. Been shooting it pretty good lik ethat, but getting slapped. First 1000 bird weekend of the year was at Mason MI, and I can still feel it. Do concave pads contribute to this? Should I look at a flat to convex pad? Going to try the washers.

Joe

14. v-strom 650

v-strom 650 Member

Check out the kick-eez "modified trap" pad, Gamiels sells them for $31.95. Flat face but pitched in at the toe. Helps w/ muzzle rise like a rocker pad. I've been using them for 3 years now. J. Terre

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

does pitch reduce muzzle rise on shotgun

does rifle stock pitch matter

gun fit pitch on butend

how to change the pitch on gun stocks

how to find the correct pitch for a trap gun

pitch vs recoil

rifle stock pitch

what is the perfict pitch for a gun stock