1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

stock pitch and POI

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by colchester, Jun 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. colchester

colchester Member

Can someone tell me what, if any effect stock pitch has on point of impact?
    Thanks,
    Joe

2. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

Unless the pitch has effected the way your eye is in relation with the front site there is no effect.

Bryan

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

A change in pitch can change your POI. A trip to the patterning board before and after the change in pitch will help verify if a change has occurred. HMB

4. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

After reviewing what I said, I should have imposed that pitch may or may not effect POI. I miss spoke.

Bryan

5. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

It not only effects your point of impact but it determines if the gun is going to slap you in the face by not sitting flat (properly) on the shoulder ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

6. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

From my experience pitch has a lot to do with overall gunfit and that includes poi. Your face will move forward or backwards on the comb as pitch is changed. May not move much and the amount of change affects how the face moves.

7. Gapper

Gapper TS Member

More pitch down will lower your POI a little.

8. mag410

mag410 Active Member

Changing pitch will not change point of impact; unless as a result of changing the pitch, it changes where you place the recoil pad on you shoulder and as a result of this change your sight picture is altered.

Think of it this way. If you change the pitch on a rifle, will it affect the point of impact? No, the sights determine the point of impact.

On a shotgun the placement of the shooting eye in relation to the rib determines the point of impact. If and only if the change in pitch changes the position of the eye will the point of impact be changed.

With a straight Monte Carlo stock a change in pitch could not have a very significant impact as any change in eye position will be minimal as the comb is straight and has the same drop at all points.

The potential change with a skeet or field stock "could" be more variable as their combs slope to the rear. A change in pitch that results in the eye moving forward on the stock will result in higher point of impact. A change in pitch that results in the eye moving rearward on the stock will result in lower point of impact.

Michael Goines

9. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

When you are referring to pitch what exactly are you talking about? The bottom or downside of the butt pad being closer to the trigger or farther away from the trigger? It would seem to me that if the pitch, as I questioned it, is closer to the trigger it would have a tendancy to push the stock up into your cheek. Right,wrong or something further?

10. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

A quote from the late Pat Ireland "Recoil starts the moment the charge in the shell is ignited."

That being the case - the gun will start to move from the effects of recoil the moment the shell is fired. More pitch will cause the muzzle to move down and less pitch will cause the muzzle up to move up. Therefore, increasing the pitch will cause the gun to shoot lower. Decreasing the pitch will cause the gun to shoot higher.

This may not be noticeable from a solid bench rest because the rest will keep the gun from moving as much during recoil.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

shotgun pitch poi