1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

stock making ?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by mike T, Mar 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mike T

mike T Member

I have some black walnut lumber varing thicknesses. Cut 50+ years ago. Planned 2 sides. the thickest piece is 1 5/8"
    two questions one is this thick enough to make a stock out of?
    and two if I glue up pieces what glue would you recommend?
    one more if i glue up two of the thicker (1" or so) pieces that would put the joint in the middle. how would that work if you were to make a adjustable comb?

thanks
    mike thimmesch

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

Mike- Your wood is not thick enough for a stock and I would strongly advise you not to glue the pieces together. If you did that, at the very best, the mismatched grain would look odd.

Now, if you want to learn how to make a stock yourself, this could make some good practice material.

Pat Ireland

3. bigben

bigben Active Member

Mike, gluing your 1 in. pieces together is fine,laminated stocks are done this way as well as plywood etc., the color-grain, textures in the stock will turn out to be abruply varigated in appearance however, there are many wood laminating glues on the market, just be sure to use a lot of clamping pressure and sustain it for a about a week. If you have some friends that do wood turning on lathes, they will help you with clamps and glue. incinerate em!

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The first stock that I made I used 3 pieces of 1x6 clear pine which I glued together. Very soft wood and easy to cut and carve. Also inexpensive when learning the dos and don'ts of stock making. When you glue your wood together you might want to think about putting some ebony dowels through the pieces for added strength and an enhanced appearence. HMB

5. Dennis DeVault

Dennis DeVault Well-Known Member

Yes the blanks are too thin to make a stock from. You can glue them together and if you do this, dowel pin the two halves together as you glue them. Make sure to lay out the through bolt hole so that you do not cut the dewel in half later. We glue blanks togerher all the time for patterns and they have held up through repeated shooting, some are over 7 years old. Run the dowels internal or drill the hole through the end of the blanks crossing through both pieces. Hope this helps.

Dennis DeVault

6. mike T

mike T Member

Thanks to everone. I guess I will just make something out of it for my kids as the wood came from their grandfathers farm. He passed away when they were just little. Now they are grown up and on their own.
    mike t

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

making a gun stock out of 1x6