1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

stock makers

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by THE-PLUMBER, Feb 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. THE-PLUMBER

THE-PLUMBER TS Member

DOES ANYONE KNOW OF A SOME WHAT LOCAL GUN STOCK MAKER/FITTER IN THE NORTHERN ILLINIOS AREA.WOULD LIKE TO HAVE A GUN FITTED AND MADE FOR ME.IS THERE SOMEONE CLOSER TO ME OTHER THAN GILMER IN IOWA THAT HAS A GOOD REPUTATION?THANKS FOR THE HELP.

2. trapshooterjoe7

trapshooterjoe7 Member

Dennis DeVault is one of the best in the area, OH.

3. Patrick Haskins

Patrick Haskins Member

Contact Dennis DeVault and ask when he will be back in Illinois. I know he spent some time at Downers Grove this past year, and I'm sure he will return.
    Pat Haskins

4. JLSO5

JLSO5 Member

That would be Paul Hilmer in IOWA not Gilmer. He is one of the best and when you see his work you will know how he got his reputation.

5. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

Mike Ghiselli in Chicago

6. mx2005

mx2005 TS Member

Call Dennis Devault in Canton OHIO ph # 330-456-6070 A Complete Gun fitter and Stock maker and if you go there for a fitting he will take you to the range and you will shoot until he fits it to YOU so you will be comfortable with the gun.

7. sharkie

sharkie TS Member

And what determines a good or great stockmaker besides personal opinions? And how do you achieve these opinions? Hear say ? Pretty Pictures , Pretty Wood . Top shooters having them do their work ? Personal experience and what do you base that on ? Site contributor? I'm interested on how and why you elect these stockmakers traditional design , radical design . Finish ,shape , checkering , wood to metal fit . How do you really know if a stock is fitting you right ? Less recoil , better scores? Lighter pocket that is back pocket lol .

8. Captain Bud

Captain Bud TS Member

There is Kolar in Racine, Wisconsin for the gun "made for me".

Dennis in Ill. when he gets home.

You can't go wrong with either of them.

Also, Wenig is only a days drive (or so) from Chicago.

And when you want it done correctly, sometimes you have to travel.

IMHO

Phil Santos

9. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

If you want a beautiful stock that looks classical and belongs on a gun, Tom Smith is the man. If you want something that looks like it came from outer space, then......

10. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

2nd the vote for Tom Smith.

11. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

From Naperville, a couple of guys have also had good success using Wenig, Elite and DeVault... The guys who bought Kolars, were extremely happy with their fittings by Mainland... no help here?!

I could also recommend the gentleman at "Trout and Grouse" in Northbrook for a fitting...

Trust is the key... if you trust your fitter, you'll have success.

regards all,

Jay

12. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Sharkie,

To answer your question of how someone knows how good a job was done on stock fitting, either by a stock fitter or a stock maker, chances are you won't - unless you learn about stock fitting.

To get a stock that fits, the shooting form used must be involved. How a shooter mounts the gun, stands and the body posture used, all affect the stock dimensions. There are recommended shooting forms for each shooting discipline (trap, skeet, sporting clays, etc.)

Good fitters first evaluates the shooting form used by the customer. It is then critiqued and discussed. Suggestions for improvement are given and IF the customer wants to improve his shooting by improving his form, the craftsman explains that he/she must continue using that form when shooting the altered or new stock or it will not fit.

If the customer agrees, the stock dimensions are altered to allow the correct form to be used (or the new stock is designed with dimensions that allow the form to be used).

To a great extent, stock dimensions determine the shooting form each of us uses. The fact that it feels "good" or "natural" is of little importance. Use a flawed form long enough and it is likely to feel "good" or "natural." That doesn't mean it's a good form or one that will result in the greatest shooting success. There are good reasons certain forms are taught by trainers and coaches.

Good stock fitters and makers take all this into consideration when dealing with customers. They also get commitments from customers so they are convinced that they will use the form when they get home. Customers' shooting success is important to good stock fitters and makers.

Rollin

13. sharkie

sharkie TS Member

Rollin,
    Thanks for going into detail a little more that oh he is the best or she is the best . Would still like to hear from others on how they rate who is the best and why you think so.

14. stockmaker57

stockmaker57 Member

Rollin,

After reading your post, I couldn’t agree with you more. Some people think that after having a custom stock made, all their problems are gone, that they will never miss another target, but that is far from the truth. Being a stock maker and fitter myself, having a custom stock made is only one piece of the puzzle. As you have mentioned, there are so many more factors that come into play. Stands, posture, consistency in your mount, technique ,muscle memory, being able to adjust your strategy to different target presentation, and maintaining mental focus just to name a few.

Over the years I have always been surprised at two things. One, how many shooters don’t know what they are suppose to see over the barrel. Second is how many shooters have never shot a patterning board to see their “point of impact” with their gun. When fitting someone, this is where I start, going over sight pictures and shooting at the pattern board.

After making a fitting stock, then making the necessary adjustments to it, I encourage the client to take the stock and shoot it for a while. I also suggest that they take some lesson from a reputable instructor at that time to help iron out any bad habits they may have, or to help them with their technique. I also like getting feed back from the instructor on how the stock is working out. When we are satisfied, then the final stock is then made.

I feel that having a custom stock made is a team effort, from the stock maker/ fitter, the commitment of the shooter, and instructions from a good instructor brings all the pieces together.

Alan Braner

Elite Custom Gunstocks, Inc.

15. high 2

high 2 Member

Alan, I couldn`t have said it better. I have people come to me thinking that they can "BUY" a good score. I too build a pattern for the customer to take home and shoot. I like to spend as much time as possible shooting with the customer, you can pick up a lot from watching them shoot. Larry

16. high 2

high 2 Member

I think some fitters think that there is only one way to set up a gun all shooters. There is a theoretical perfect fit, but few fit into that category. Some fitters just have the nack to bring out the best in you, but as stated above, it`s a team effort. I typically build a pattern stock out of a soft wood like maple(easy to work with) and will bondo, file, add a butt adj. and so on. Take that stock home and shoot the heck out of it to make sure that the comfort is there. That`s something a fitter can`t tell you. Pick out a good fitter and listen to and trust them. I`ve had customers that took 30 minutes to get dialed in and a couple more than a day to get them comfortable. You run across all kinds of physical limitations being a fitter. Larry

17. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

I see a SILE model 12 forearm for auction on e-bay once in a while. Anyone know anything about them, quality, prices, fit, figuration, where they are made etc? Thanks, Dave

18. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

The more I think about it, don't go to Tom if you are a Trapshooter. It makes him too busy to build stocks for the rest of us and you will just screw it up anyway. First thing you will do is put on one of those butt-ugly adjustable recoil pad rube goldberg devices. Then you will want an adjustable comb so you can "tinker" with your POI every time you have a bad round (It can't be shooter error, can it?)

You will proudly post pics of it and make me sad to see beautiful English walnut ruined. Just go to someplace like Wenig and have them make it out of Brazillian butternut and then turn it over to the butchers.

19. clayshooter100

clayshooter100 Member

I will second the vote for al braner his work is outstanding , he is also some one who can also shoot master class in nsca. He has done several pieces for me and people i know one being a olympic international skeet shooter. He is a artist with wood you should look at the work he has done see the pictures on his web sight

20. kolartarget

kolartarget Member

I have to say Dennis Devault since I have had my stock made my scores went up and recoil was drastically reduced

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
gun stock makers in ohio
northern indiana stock fitter
shotgun stock makers
sporting clays shotgun fitters in northeast ohio
stock fitters-iowa
stock maker or fitter for shotgun in ohio

stockmaker57