1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Stock LOP

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by smsnyder, Feb 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Recommended Stock Lemgth of pull on trap guns?

2. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

this will be interesting.

3. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Is this a trick question? I mean, it almost sounds dumb. Earl, you been drinking??

4. coveybuster

coveybuster Member

13ish---Short arms

14ish---Average arms

15ish---Long arms

Longer yet---Bigfoot / Yeti / Ape

5. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Actually, Covey describes it fairly.

6. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

The question then becomes what are short arms, average arms, and long arms?

7. dbcook

dbcook TS Member

right or left handed?..dwain

8. Blueraven81

Blueraven81 TS Member

I was told to place the butt on the bicep next to the bent arm. You should be able to comfortably slide you finger onto the trigger.

Of course if you're a body builder you will have to use your best judgement.

I at 5'8" (tip of trigger finger to shoulder 24") and my oldest Son (arms longer than mine) and is 5' 10 use a 14.5 LOP, my youngest Son; 5'2 (arms shorter than mine), uses a 13.5 LOP but even that's a bit of a reach and he could probably use another .5" less.

Just my input.

Blueraven

9. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Sometimes LOP is not the problem. There is a problem of the distance between the grip & the trigger. This really is a problem if its too long & you are using a double release.

Phil Berkowitz

10. pheasantmaster

pheasantmaster Well-Known Member

Design of gripping area and your hand placement in relation to finger placed on trigger is a point.

Width of shoulder area and placement of pad on that area are a point.

Length of arms and height of neck, ie from where stock is placed on shoulder, head poistion/placement on stock and distance between that point and eye matter.

Placement of off hand on forearm.

Your individual style is point of reference.

Receiver length is a point.

The one easyily given internet recomendation is as follows. No simple formulas...

11. DocJim

DocJim Member

With the gun mounted so that the heel (top) of the recoil pad is even with the top of the shoulder there should be about 1" to 1.25 inches (about 2 fingerbreadths) between your thumb and your nose (or glasses). Generally, if it feels good it probably IS good. .................AJ

12. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Man Earl, you must be bored!

ss

13. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Retirement is killing me plus SNOW SNOW And more SNOW is killing me. LOL

14. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I'm 5'-11" and my LOP is 15 3/16". But, I have big fingers. You know what they say about big fingers.........big gloves.

15. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

the correct lop is what feels comfortable to you.
    steve

16. coveybuster

coveybuster Member

All jokes aside, I think the perfect LOP varies from gun to gun. I am short 5' 7". I shot a new Blaser F3 Supertrap at the Mo. Fall Handicap last year. The LOP on it was like 14.6". It felt perfect. Smoked 10 straight with it. When I went back to my gun, LOP 14", it seemed really short. I would have expected the F3 to feel really long, but it didn't, and why did the gun I've shot feel short for the next few birds?

I have a 1970 BT-99 that was my dad's with 14" LOP I shoot so-so. My wife has a 1969 BT-99 cut off to 13.5" I just hammer targets with it.

My primary gun has a adjustable gra-coil on it. After the experiences with wifeys short BT, I screwed the gra-coil in to 13 5/8 (as short as it will go)on my gun. It felt better, came up slicker. I thought I was really on to something. I don't shoot it as well when it is set to 14". If I set my gun to anything over 14" like that F3, it is super clumsy and awkward. Go figure.

17. dave-320c

dave-320c Well-Known Member

For me, trap and skeet is a great hobby, and has been for the last two decades. Like most of us, I have been searching for shotgun bliss.

Question: How to tell when the length of pull balance, weight, POI, grip to trigger distance is all correct?

Answer: When you break targets consistently and easily.

I just found my piece of heaven with a 1925 model 12 black diamond trap. For me, it is with a slightly shorter length of pull of 14", and a thin stock (unmolested).

I can usually pick up anything factory and shoot it decently, but this Winchester model 12 shoots where I look as I touch the trigger.

I feel like the guy on TV with the huge grin and a revitalized life on the trap field.

I will be thinning out the herd.

Regards, and good shooting,

Dave

18. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

As has been mentioned, LOP as it relates to comfort, is sometimes used to judge if the LOP of a particular gun is "correct." Unfortunately, comfort often relates to what you are "used to." If you are used to a particular LOP with your particular shooting form, e.g., your stance and gun-mount height, your preferred LOP is based on those elements of your shooting form.

LOP, like other stock dimensions, are affected by elements of your shooting form (gun mount, stance, body posture). The distance between the nose and thumb is used as a way of judging the correctness of LOP and avoiding their unexpected contact during recoil.

This is fine until how well the grip fits the hand is considered. Grip geometry should be independent from LOP but there is no way to separate them. The radius of the grip comes into play and is necessarily independent of LOP measurement. with the way pistol grips are designed, the best we can do is position our hands so the first joint of our index finger (or the pad, if you prefer) makes contact with the trigger.

If you use a correct shooting form with the top of the butt on your collarbone, the trigger-hand elbow raised to near horizontal with your head and neck in a natural upright position so the eyes are nearly centered in their sockets, a bit more weight on your forward foot and the feet about shoulder width apart with your body rotated less than forty five degrees in the direction of your gun mount side, your correct LOP will be different than it would be if you change any of the elements of your shooting form.

For example, stand facing targets more directly and your LOP will need to be a little shorter. Stand edge-on to targets and it will need to be longer. Mount your gun lower on your shoulder and the LOP will need to be longer since your neck lean will place your cheek farther forward on the comb.

Some will say that the length of a gun's receiver will affect what feels "right." Here, gun balance comes into play. Where on the forend the hand makes contact is affected by arm length and stance. Again, it is impossible to divorce shooting form and stock dimensions. They are not independent. One affect the other.

So, my advice is to use what is comfortable unless you want to correct your shooting form. If you do, there is a good chance that you LOP might change. With trap shooting, an LOP a little too long is usually better than one a little too short. The key consideration is the position of the head and neck where upright and natural are best.

Rollin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
bakser f3 stock lop
rifle stock lop

stock lop

trap gun lop
what is lop in trapshooting