1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Stock Inletting

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by shootsome, Aug 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shootsome

shootsome Member

Does anyone know of a good stock maker that can inlet my gun stock to give me more cast-off? The Graco adjustable comb I have on it will not go any further to the right. Thanks

2. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

Have you thought about bending it?

Ed Yanchok

3. shootsome

shootsome Member

I don't think I can bend it with an adjustable comb on it?

4. beaker100

beaker100 Member

hi shootsome, your stock can be bent with an adjustable comb. i have a hot oil bender that i will have up and running soon.i have been moving into a new shop here in linn creek, mo and that is one of the things i still have to get operational. i will be posting picts and updates soon. thanks doug hubbart gunsmith/ colorado custom cases. jd28hd@aol.com (573)286-9905 please leave a message if i don't answer. the shop is noisy and the phone is hard to hear.

5. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

I've bent many stocks with adjustable combs on them. No problem

Ed Yanchok

6. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

You can also alter the cast by changing the inletting. You cannot alter the comb drop with inletting changes.

Doug Braker

7. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

Very interesting!

8. shootsome

shootsome Member

Can anyone reccommend a stock maker to inlet my stock for me? Thanks

9. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

I can do it.

I better ask first, what kind of gun are you talking about.

Doug Braker

10. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Better yet have a comb built for the gun with more offset. I'll match the wood and do the job for $400 no wories about inleting or bending and the stock is still factory origional if you put the old comb back on.
    Joe

11. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Depending on the gun design, wouldn't changing the inletting created a gap on one side of the receiver tangs?

12. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Yes and then you fill it with epoxy and sawdust and refinish. I prefer making a new comb or better a custom stock.
    Joe

13. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

The gap is minimal, sometimes not any worse than many production stocks. The gap can be filled with an epoxy to seal the joint. No refinishing is neccessary.

When you bring you gun to the Perazzi or Krieghoff building for a little more cast, this is what they do.

I'm curious as to the off-set comb. Most adjustable combs are on average 1" thick. Even off-setting the original a 1/4", you can feel the cut edge of the lower main piece of wood.

Wouldn't the comb look like a "right angle triangle" it you attempted to alter the original, or have excessive material on the opposite side.

I'd like to see a posted picture of an "off-set comb"if you have one.

Doug

14. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

I'll have pictures in a few days but think of it as a roll over comb molded in to the Origional shape cutout.

"When you bring you gun to the Perazzi or Krieghoff building for a little more cast, this is what they do." I don't like this process particularly With P guns.

The modern trap gun is a through bolt design gun and when you cant the through bolt you introduce stress on one side or the other no matter how good the inletting is. That is why so many stocks have cracks in them at the back of the inletting. It might take years but almost all of them that do not have a straight through bolt hole will eventually crack.
    Joe

This is not as much the problem with autos and many single barrel guns like the Infinity.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.