1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Stock inletting ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by southjblue, Feb 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

What smudge material do you use to work down the edges to inlet and fit a stock?---I'm just playing around with cabin fever.Never tried it before but will give it a try on some old stocks---The marterial I'm looking for would be like pencil lead dust---George

2. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Stock inleting ?

I often use White Out on the metal for finding contact points.

3. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

Jerros inletting black (Brownells) for wood to metal fitting. A i ounce jar opught to last for your first 20-30 stocks. Lipstick also works pretty well. I take a small artists brush and cut the hairs off short, to maybe 1/4", so the bristles are short and stiff like a miniature houise painting brush. I dab the black on, rather than brushing so it makes a thin film on the wood without penetrating.

4. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

Most older fellows used lamp black. From old oil lamps. I have used it myself and works great. Only it takes a little time to get enough on my wood. Bill

5. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

old lipstick works lighter collors are good for dark wood. Be carefull and ask or your wife or she will probably kiss your head with the stock your working on.
    Joe

6. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

candle it, use the soot off a candle or buy inletter"s black

7. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

I just copy the old stock. I just need to be close, I glass bed everything anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.