1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Stock Identification

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by greenhorn, Jun 6, 2013.

1. greenhorn

greenhorn Member

Can anyone identify the maker of this stock, or how to adjust the recoil absorption. I can "bottom out" the recoil reduction with hand pressure, and I'm wondering if this lead to the crack or could make the crack worse. Any help would be appreciated, thanks guys and gals!

2. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Looks like an Eddie Sower stock. You should be able to add air to the recoil assembly through the recoil pad. Is there a plug in the pad?

3. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

If it is an original Ed Sower Hydro-coil it was oil filled. Gsquared made replacement air adjustable conversion units.Jeff

4. greenhorn

greenhorn Member

I cant find any reference to Ed Sower, or Sauer, on the internet regarding stocks. Anyone else have any ideas?

5. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Ed Sowers has been gone for years. He was the inventor of the Hydro-coil back in the sixties. Joe Shiozaki Of JS air cushion and Jack Docwiller still make them. Do you have a pic of the whole stock? It may not be a H-C stock. The back part called "the boot" looks awful thick. Jeff

6. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

Take it apart and show the pieces.

7. greenhorn

greenhorn Member

Here are some more updated pics with the stock torn down as far as I'm willing. I would assume that the knurled knob in the end plate would have something to do with adjustment. Any help identifying the system would be appreciated since there is a mixed bag of seemingly unmatched fasteners holding this thing together that I would like to replace with OE parts.
    [​IMG]

8. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

My guess is a homemade knock off of a Hydro-coil. Jeff

9. greenhorn

greenhorn Member

Any other ideas? I don't mean to undermine the ingenuity of the shadetree gunsmith, but this doesn't look like something somebody would "one-off" out in the garage.

10. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Greenhorn- I would agree. The labor involved in making this from scratch as a one-off would make it a MUCH more expensive proposition than having it done professionally. And the main body looks like a machined casting, not the kind of work an amateur would do.

11. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Maybe Lujtic made it as a prototype..

12. greenhorn

greenhorn Member

I think I might have to contact Ljutic to see if they have info.

13. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

But no one has ever seen one? I've been doing this 30 years and have had over a hundred H-C stocks, never seen this. Jeff

14. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Looks kinda like this:

<a>http://www.google.com/patents/US4769937</a>

15. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Like I said its a knockoff of a Hydro-coil. The first patent listed is DR, Ralph Hoge the inventor along with Ed Sowers of the Hydro-Coil. Jeff

16. B.C.

B.C. Member

Replace it with an Ljutic unmolested stock ,looks like an Standard Mono stock.
    Save your self some aggravation , there is all ways some one selling stocks on here. B.C.

17. greenhorn

greenhorn Member

I have another Ljutic stock on hand; but, I want to take advantage of the recoil reduction. I cracked my nut buying the gun, and don't want to sink any more money in modifying the unaltered stock.

Search tags for this page

ed sowers hydro