1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Stock for Mossberg Silver Reserve 20g?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by macguyver67, Jan 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. macguyver67

macguyver67 Member

My 12 year old has a Mossberg Silver Reserve 20g OU and I want to reduce the stock length. I am having no luck finding a replacement stock to cut down (I figured I would not change the original stock). Anyone know where I can get one or if another Mossberg model's stock would fit it?

Thanks, Joseph

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Don't worry about finding another stock. The gun won't last long enough for him to outgrow it. I've never seen one make it more than 4 flats of shells before a major malfunction.

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but the guns simply don't last any length of time.

ss

3. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Have you contacted Mossberg? That would be a good starting point, and if they don't have a solution, you're probably out of luck. No interchange either. The Silver Reserve is made in Turkey, and imported by Mossberg. They stamp their name on it and ship it out to dealers, that's about the extent of their involvement with the transaction.

And what SS says isn't far off.

4. macguyver67

macguyver67 Member

Yet another "expert" offering their useless comment on TS.com. SS, the gun has already had several thousand shells through it to date without an issue. I guess since we take such great care of all of our guns they treat us better too.

Ian, thanks for your recommendation. BTW, I have that scope I bought from you on my other son's AR15 and it is great. You are the kind of person on this site that helps me tolerate people like SS.

5. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Good luck with your SR. I had one that I had to replace the firing pins on and then it started doubling. The insides of that gun looked like it had been made with a hammer and cold chisel. Mossberg wouldn't sell me parts to replace and I wasn't interested in investing any more money with a gunsmith, so I sold it to a local gun store for parts. I got $75 for it and was glad to see it go. True story. I hope it holds up for your son, but it probably won't be an heirloom gun. I would cut the stock and save the piece to add back on when he grows, or add a spacer. Mark

6. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Several thousands of shells through it huh? Do you have documentation of this? How many actually went off?

I'm sorry if my post(s) offend you, but I speak of what I've seen and not what I heard!

Save the fantasy tails for those over at SGW. They might just drink your kool-aid!

ss

7. macguyver67

macguyver67 Member

Documentation? What the hell kind of documentation would one have regarding how many shells have been shot from a shotgun? Do you keep every receipt for the shells you buy and then also keep detailed records of which shells are shot by each of your guns. You have too much time on your hands ss.

What I do know is that the Mossberg SR 20g we have served my older son well without a problem. He shot it for over a year and the easy math of at least 4 rounds of skeet or 5 stand a week gets me to several thousand shells. We have not had the firing pin issue others have had (yet). I know this is not a heirloom gun but for the money it has served its purpose very well and I was hoping that the younger boy could get better use out of it by shortening the stock. In any case I asked if anyone knew where I could get a stock...not an editorial on the gun.

And as far as offending me is concerned...good luck doing that short one. I don't offend easily and I don't suffer fools gladly. You keep drinking your koolaid skippy and I will stick to the stuff us adults drink.

8. BigBearRod

BigBearRod Member

I would call Mossberg and see if this one on their web site would fit your SR.

http://www.mossberg.com/cgi-bin/commerce.exe?preadd=action&key=13612&reference=/cgi-bin/commerce.exe%3Fsearch%3Daction%26keywords%3D20 ga stock silver reserve%26searchstart%3D120%26template%3DPDGCommTemplates\MossPdgNav\SearchResult.html

ps. I have a SR 12ga field that I love. Have shot (un-documented :) around 3000 shells in the past 3 years without any no-fires.

Good luck, Rod

9. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Save the phone call. That stock is for a Mossberg 500 pump. SR is an O/U imported from Turkey. Not even close. Mark

10. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

That stock will not fit. The Silver Reserve is an over/under, and that stock is for a 500 pump.

11. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Try Numrich at http://www.gunpartscorp.com/

If that fails, just cut the stock. If you need to lengthen it later, use a piece of wood or plastic.

As others have inferred above, its not like this gun is a high dollar heirloom piece that will lose value if you cut the stock. Its an entry level gun, and you need it to fit your son, so cut it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
brices south africa mossberg silver reserve 2
cut down mossberg silver stock
moss berg silver reserve replacement stock
mossberg silver reserve parts

mossberg silver reserve replacement stock

mossberg silver reserve replacement stocks
mossberg silver reserve stock
replacement stock for mossberg silver reserve