1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

stock fitting

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by trrapshooter, Feb 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trrapshooter

trrapshooter Member

Anyone have a good gun fitter around the Maryland area. I bought a New Kolar last summer and think i need someone to fit it, I can't seem to get it mounted in the spot all the time.

Thanks in advance for help

Steve

2. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Dennis DeVault, Canton, OH.

It's not that far.

3. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Steve. This is not a criticism of you or Kolar or anyone, but stocks wiht cast on or off can be tricky to get accustomed to. Mostly the reason is that shooters try and use their cheek as a location rather than the cheek bone directly under the eye. Too, your gunmount is often at fault simply because you begin your mount too far away from your face and shoulder. Gun mounting is a 4 step process. 1) is gun down at rest. 2) is a "pre-mount" whereby you brign the gun near your face andshoulder and hesitate. 3) is when you turn yuo face to receive the stock, and 4) the final inch or two as you plant the gun on your shoulder and settle your cheek bone in it's proper aligned spot. I'll be happy to send you this mount inpictures if you send me a email. Too, If your face mounted on your gun looks different than this Phil Kiner picture on his DVD then you will have difficulty mounting consistently.
    [​IMG]

Kolar stocks also have a fairly large thumb indent that relieves the sideways pressure that you may need.

Beyond trying to alter your gun mount you may want ot get a Terry Jordan wall chart, and perhaps consult wiht Kolar as well.

Jack

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

That is a very nice picture of Phil. But it appears to me that he is looking at the camera and the gun is pointed away from the camera. We really should practice our gun mount. Most will be surprised how much effort is required to mount a gun 10 times. Your arms will get tired after 6 times. Like so many other things, I intend to begin my gun mounting exercises soon.

Steve- I would suggest you mount your gun, with your eyes closed, 10-15 times every morning. After a week or so, you will have a more consistent mount. Until you learn how to mount your gun the same way every time, it is difficult for someone to fit the gun to you.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.