1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

------- "Stock Fitting Secrets" --------

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Rollin Oswald, Apr 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

-------

Fact: You will shoot your best only when you use the correct shooting form (stance, body posture and gun mount).

Fact: The dimensions of your stock must fit your particular size and shape to allow the correct shooting form to be used. If your gun doesn't fit, your shooting form will be flawed.

"Stock Fitting Secrets" explains stock dimensions and shooting form in detail. It also explains the interrelationships between the dimensions and the different aspects of shooting form and describes how the dimension can be changed to make the gun fit.

Although books can be ordered on the new website (above), it is still under construction. I have requested a number of changes be made in the next few days. A couple of paragraphs on several pages can be viewed, if you're interested.

The 101-page book featured on the website is 8 1/2 x 11 inches but a paperback, 178-page, 6 x 9-inch book will be available within the next few weeks (ISBN 978-0-9795338-0-8). The price for either is $26.95 + $5.00 shipping. The book will not be listed in "Books in Print" until I have them on hand and ready to mail.

Rollin

2. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

-------

Nice improvements there Rollin. Jump this way: http://www.stockfitting.com/

3. Rollin Oswald

-------

Thanks, Joe. It's amazing what a professional graphics designer can do with drawings and photographs. I owe all the improvements to Jeff Meloy, a Florida resident, trap shooter and graphics artist supreme.

Rollin

4. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

-------

Rollin

I have your old book but would like the new one. Can you put me on the list to buy one ??? Or should I order one on the website ???

5. Rollin Oswald

-------

Bob,

I was afraid this was going to happen. Because of all the graphics in the "new" book, it takes a long time to send one as an e-mail attachment. To make matters even worse, the records of past book buyers are in no order that would allow me to confirm that people who say they paid for a book in the past, actually did - page after page after page of written records and a PayPal account that has been closed and replaced with a new one. Sales records for the closed account are no longer available.

Considering the money invested in the new graphics and the printing of 6" x 9" books, I cannot send books at no charge. With these costs and the new website design, I am in debt up to my eyeballs. That also holds true for the 8 1/2 x 11-inch books. The cost of printing them has risen as well.

Where all this is leading is to the answer to your question. You will have to buy a new book in one of two sizes that will be available in a month or so. Only the 8 1/2 x 11-inch book is available now.

If you bought your book in the past year or so, only the graphics will be different. Few changes in the text have been made.

Rollin

6. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

-------

Is there more graphics in the book than on line?

7. Rollin Oswald

-------

Joe,

Yes, there are 30 to 35 drawings and photographs throughout the book.

Rollin

8. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

-------

Rollin, I have a question which your book may or may not address. Would appreciate your expert opinion. I recently purchased a used Ljutic mono gun. The gun has an adjustable comb, and fully adjustable pad. I have been working with the gun most of the winter when weather permitted,trying to get it to shoot where i'm looking. Think I have finally done that. At least for now. I have just been shooting the gun for caps. (3 dram loads) The problem is that I am now getting excessive recoil in my wrist. Also some recoil in my cheek.(the one on my face)

I know from reading your information on here about stock fitting that there may be many things that may be causing the problem, but this is not happening with any of the other guns I am or have ever shot. Am keeping my head on the stock--I do grip my guns rather high on the grip. The recoil pad is verticle (not canted) at all. I presently have the gun shooting 12 inches high at 40 yds. I really hate to start making any drastic changes as I am breaking targets rather well. Maybe I just need to buck up and shoot it this way. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Steve

9. Rollin Oswald

-------

Steve,

Yes, you could keep shooting the gun the way it is, but be prepared to develop a flinch before too long.

Why do you grip the gun "rather high on the grip"? That puts your wrist in a seemingly unnatural position and may be contributing to the "excessive recoil in my wrist".

Of the things that can cause cheek slap, the recoil in the cheek you are experiencing, too little pitch is the most common. Try this: Slowly mount the gun. When the butt first makes contact with your shoulder, does the lower toe of the recoil pad make contact significantly before the heel at the top? If it does, you may have found the cause of the cheek slap.

If the toe and heel make contact with your shoulder at about the same time, your cheek slap is caused by something else. Determining what that might be is too complex to get into here.

You might consider measuring the LOP, casts, drops at the heel and comb and pitch on your Ljutic and another gun that doesn't cause the problems you mentioned. Comparing the dimensions on the Ljutic and a non-problematic gun may tell you which dimension(s) is/are causing the problem.

This assumes that your shooting form is the same with the Ljutic as it is when using your other guns. If it is, then an aspect of your form might be contributing to the problems, caused by the same form being used with different stock dimensions on the Ljutic, compared to your other guns.

I would first suspect the way you mount the guns. On the other hand, the Ljutic may be mounted differently, most likely due to different stock dimensions on the Ljutic compared to your other guns. If my suggestions do not lead to the identification of a cause of the problems, it would be time to consider visiting a stock fitter or buying a copy of my book.

Cheek slap can have a number of causes. Pitch is the only one that can be addressed here. If the Ljutic stock has too little pitch, recutting the butt or adding tapered spacers if you can tolerate the increase in stock length, may corrrect it. Bear in mind however, that too little pitch may not be the only cause of the cheek slap, just the most likely one.

Rollin

10. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

-------

Thanks much Rollin. I will follow your suggestions on checking some things on the gun(s). The grip thing is just something I've always done on any long gun I shoot. Bad habit to break. Guess I just need to be more conscious of it and slide my hand down a little.

You are probably right about developing a flinch. That's all I need.LOL

Thanks again and good shooting. Steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

rollin oswald stock fitting

stock fitting secrets