1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Stock Fitting Secrets" Fit & Form instruction

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Rollin Oswald, Oct 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Stock Fitting Secrets

“Stock Fitting Secrets” is the only book ever written that provides step-by-step instructions for fitting your stock. The text and more than 70 graphics explain how each stock dimension affects your shooting form (gun mount, stance and body posture.) This is important because a correct shooting form is the basis for all good shooting. Your stock’s dimensions either allow or prevent your shooting up to your full potential. The book was written to "allow".

"Stock Fitting Secrets" thouroughly explains shooting form for that reason. Following the discussion on form is an equally detailed discussion of each stock dimension and its relationship to form, to other stock dimensions and to individual shooters' size and shape. We shooters come in so many different sizes that off-the-rack guns, even those with adjustable combs, fail to fit many of us.

The book format is a 6” x 9” 178-page paperback. The text and graphics are the same as the 8 ½ x 11-inch spiral-bound book sold by Café Press the past few months with its slightly larger graphics. All books sold in the last 6 months or so contain improved and expanded drawings and photographs by renowned graphics artist, Jeff Meloy.

Note: Readers fitting their own guns may require the services of a local gunsmith because most of us are unable to install a new recoil pad, let alone a stock/pad adjuster or an adjustable comb if one is required.

Click on the Website URL above for more information and access to short excerpts from the book. My email address and phone number are in the book and on the website if you have questions about the book or stock fitting.

Rollin

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

Stock Fitting Secrets

This book is very useful even if you already have a stock that fits you well. I believe it is important to understand why your stock fits you but may not fit someone else.

The book is not full of pretty girls holding guns just below protruding breasts. It is not full of advertising for unrelated products. It just contains a lot of useful information.

Pat Ireland

3. Rollin Oswald

Stock Fitting Secrets

Pat:

Thank you, Pat.

Would you recommend adding some blond, scantily clad, cheerleaders before the next printing?

Rollin

4. rlcammer

rlcammer TS Member

Stock Fitting Secrets

Another fine feature is that the BT-99 MAX stainless on page 118 is mine!

Ric C.

5. Rollin Oswald

Stock Fitting Secrets

Brownk80 - How about this ad in the the high school and Univ. of Wisconsin papers, " Wanted: Photographic models. Must be shapely, blond, scantily clad students. Photos to appear in technical stock fitting book sold around the world. Models need know nothing about shooting sports. The appearance of your email addresses is optional. If interested, call dirty old man at: 920-431-1137 to arrange interview."

Ric C. - Yes, it's great photo. Do you know Jeff Meloy, the graphic artist who did the drawings and photos in the book? Is it your photo on the cover? I've forgotten what Jeff told me.

Rollin

6. buzzgun

buzzgun Member

Stock Fitting Secrets

In a universe where George Bush is qualified to be President...

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

Stock Fitting Secrets

Rollin - Your question about adding some photographs of over exposed ladies to your next printing gives me the opportunity to fuss about something I do not like. I have no problem seeing attractive ladies, but I do not believe they have an appropriate place in advertisements for guns and ammunition. The attractive ladies, sometimes dressed as soiled doves, detract from the product being advertised.

If you want pictures of a real lady in your next edition, I can put you in contact with Betty Sackett. She is a many times All American and a classy lady. She also knows a lot about stock fit.

Pat Ireland

8. rlcammer

rlcammer TS Member

Stock Fitting Secrets

Rollin......

I shoot trap with Jeff occasionally at the Markham Park club in Florida.

He took some photos of my gun one day last winter for your book.

Great guy.

I have found the book very informative.

Ric Cammer

9. Rollin Oswald

Stock Fitting Secrets

Pat; I completely agree. Although attractive women are pleasant to watch (we are all voyeurs to some extent) they do not belong in advertising to the extent they are seen.

If is a well known fact in advertising that sex sells. I hope you didn't think my comments about adding cheerleaders was serious however, because it was not.

Ric; I'm glad you like the book. Your gun photographs beautifully.

Rollin

10. Gavin

Gavin Active Member

Stock Fitting Secrets

Rollin
    got the new version of the book. Great job.
    Thanks

Gavin

11. mercedesman1981

mercedesman1981 TS Member

Stock Fitting Secrets

I just ordered your book today Rollin.

Mike

12. Rollin Oswald

Stock Fitting Secrets

Thank you, Gavin.

Your book is patiently awaiting mail pickup tomorrow, Mike.

Rollin

13. mercedesman1981

mercedesman1981 TS Member

Stock Fitting Secrets

Thanks Rollin!

My 1100 my son uses has bruised his cheek, I'm looking forward to making the corrections needed for him.

Mike

14. boar

boar TS Member

Stock Fitting Secrets

Is there anything in your book about fitting a wheelchair shooter?

15. Rollin Oswald

Stock Fitting Secrets

Boar:

Not specifically, no. The principals of stock fitting detailed in the book would, I believe, help wheelchair shooters but they would have to consider the limitations of shooting from a chair would require such as limited body flexibility, slight gun mount differences, etc.

Rollin

16. Ralph1100

Ralph1100 Member

Stock Fitting Secrets

Rollin,

the person on the front cover is me. Jeff took the photo at the Florida Chain Shoot last winter at Trailglades Range in Miami (website is above for anyone interested). In the photo, I'm shooting an 870 Wingmaster with a Jerry Nelson adjustable buttpad (adjustable LOP, Pitch, up and down, sideways, everything).

I'm 6'3", have 36" arms and a long neck. Without the adjustable stock work done by Country Gentleman and the knowledge gained from your book to make the proper adjustments, I'd have no chance in this sport.

By the way, Jeff Meloy is one of the top shooters in South Florida - AA27. I've personally seen him shoot 100 straight in singles 3 times. He shoots a BT-100 with a custom Wenig stock made to his dimensions. He cut, sanded and finished the stock himself.

Ralph

17. Rollin Oswald

Stock Fitting Secrets

Thanks for the forgotten information, Ralph.

I had no idea Jeff was such a good shooter. His shooting talent is on a par with his great graphics work

The Country gentleman people are great, aren't they?

Thanks again.

Rollin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
bt-99 book jeff meloy
bt-99 meloy
fitting new stock bt-99

jeff meloy bt-99