1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Stock fitting questions - first for Rollin

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Ron Frazier, Oct 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ron Frazier

Ron Frazier TS Member

Rollin,
    I have two trap guns. One doesn't kick at all, the other beats the hell out of my cheek.If I do the door frame test, the gun that doesn't kick is close to square in the door frame. On the gun that hurts my cheek the barrel is about 5" from the frame. Would shimming the poorly fitting gun to be close to the other be a good starting point to getting the gun to fit me?

All fellow trap shooters,
    Does anyone know of a top notch fitter in New England? I live in Southern NH. I would like to find the best person to:
    1. Critique my mount if that is an issue.
    2. Make reccomendations as to what changes need to be made to the gun.
    3. Be able to make these changes or send me to someone who can.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

2. jackaroo

jackaroo TS Member

what is the door frame test?? thanks in advance

3. Ron Frazier

Ron Frazier TS Member

Door frame test - Find a door frame that is 90 degrees from the floor (square). Place your gun with the butt flat to the floor and the barrell as close to the frame as possible. This will tell you how much pitch the gun has.

Rollin's book is the reason that I know even this much. I would say that this book is a must have for everyone and anyone. Your average sales person at a gun store is not going to be able to tell you if a gun fits or not. I for one have a gun that "feels" great when I mount it, but hurts when I shoot it.

4. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Ron, sounds as if the gun that "fits" has "0" pitch? Place the barrel on the one that "hurts" against the frame so it's positioned the same (barrel position) and measure the gap on the pad to the floor. That will tell you the changes necessary to make both the same, pitch wise. Hap

5. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Ron:

Yours is a simple question. One gun is evil and the other is not. Find an elderly Catholic priest. He will conduct a procedure to drive the evil from the gun that is causing problems. Make sure the gun is well oiled however, as the procedure involves water.

Seriously, most often the pitch on the two guns you describe and their effects on the cheek are opposite of what you are experiencing - the one with the barrel 6" from the frame would usually be expected to cause less punishment to your cheek.

In your case, I suspect that your recoil pad may be sliding up on your shoulder during recoil and bringing the comb with it.

Your suggestion and Otnot's advice is sound. Use washers as shims and make the evil gun's pitch the same as the one that does not cause cheek slap, the problem you describe. Needless to say, you will need one or two longer recoil pad attachment screws and maybe shims in the center of the pad as well to prevent its cracking.

Cheek slap has a number of possible causes with pitch being only the most common.

Jackaroo:

The door frame test is a simple way we Americans sometimes use to determine the pitch on a stock. Europeans nearly always measure it using degrees but that procedure is more difficult to compute.

Earl: Thank you. Good idea.

Rollin

6. Ron Frazier

Ron Frazier TS Member

Thank you, Rollin.
    Can anyone reccomend a good Catholic Priest in the New England area? Maybe one with trapshooting experience?

7. Rollin Oswald

Ron;

My mind went blank when I tried to remember the ritual featured in "The Omen". I still can't remember it.

Rollin

8. Ron Frazier

Ron Frazier TS Member

Exorcism? I believe that's Latin for stock fitting!

9. Rollin Oswald

Ron,

Thank you; that's it. I'm not so sure about its being Latin for stock fitting, though. About all the Latin I remember is "Italia peninsula est."

I attach little religious significance to stock fitting. It's more a Zen thing.

Rollin

10. Ron Frazier

Ron Frazier TS Member

Anyone know of a top fitter in NE?

11. cableguy

cableguy TS Member

How about one in the Seattle area?

12. todman2

todman2 Member

Take a look at the web site for the Country Gentleman Gun Fitters.

The Nelson Family has been doing gun fitting and stock adjustments for years.

Tod Nelson is also a top notch shooter who will work with you on form as well as fit. He did wounders with setting up my guns with both wood stocks as well as my precision fit stocks. He travels the shoot circuit so you can see when he's in your area. It will make a big difference when your gun is setup correctly. www.gunfitter.com

13. Rollin Oswald

Todman2 - I agree with your opinion of Country Gentleman. They are one of two stock fitters I list in the "Suppliers" section of my book. Wening is the other. I will be expanding the list prior to the next printing because I have read glowing reports on several stock fitters here on ts.com.

Brownk80 - Well, you could always fashion a big protractor and set it up to read the degrees for the recoil pad and the rib. You may then have to convert your degrees to the inches at the 28" point of the barrel though to get an accurate comparison of the two measuring methods. (0r you could move to Europe where degrees are used exclusively to measure pitch.)

Rollin

14. Rollin Oswald

Isn't that true nearly everywhere?

Rollin

15. Ron Frazier

Ron Frazier TS Member

So I guess there aren't any real good fitters in New England. Road trip?

16. Rollin Oswald

Ron;

See the thread, "Any good stock fitters in New England - NH?"

Rollin

17. Ron Frazier

Ron Frazier TS Member

Thank you. I'll be making some calls tomorrow. I'll keep you posted.

18. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

Hi Ron:
    There's a guy in CT named Bud. Lives in Plainville, CT. Does excellent work.
    Wenig supplies him the wood. Does fantastic work. I'm next in line for a Krieghoff stock fitting. I'm excited to see how he does. Let me know if you need his number. Dave T.

19. Ron Frazier

Ron Frazier TS Member

Dave T: Yes, I would like to get his contact info. Thank You.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.