1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

stock fitting question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by jbmOU, Jun 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

Lately I have been finding myself having to put my head way up on my stock, almost touching my thumb. It isn't very comfortable, especially since my cheek ends up right on the edge of my adjustable comb. How can I fix this? would shortening the stock help?

2. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

Well, I am not a stockfitter but I would think that if you were to shorten the stock, your thumb would be touching your nose. Go the other direction and add some length to it instead. Most folks have an inch or more of space between their nose and thumb. John

3. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

The appropriate question is, why? What is causing your nose to crowd your thumb.

Possible answers are several:

1. Your gun mount is too low. The solution is to raise it enough to make the
    heel of the stock even with the top of your shoulder.

2. Your stock is too short. You could install a thicker recoil pad or add
    spacers, which would require a new pad to look good.

3. It is also possible that the top of the recoil pad, the heel, is too close
    to the level of the gun's rib for the length of your neck, i.e. an
    inadequate drop at the heel dimension.

It could be increased with the installation of one of several stock or pad
    adjusters, all of which lengthen the stock to varying degrees.

4. You may be facing targets too directly, standing too square-on to them. Try
    rotating your stance slightly in the direction of the side on which you
    mount your gun, clockwise if you shoot right-handed.

Rollin

4. country gentleman

country gentleman Member

3 things you, the shooter, need not overlook.
    1.dependable gun
    2.professional fitting and pattern testing
    3.professional coaching
    If you are not paying for fitting and coaching, you are listening to the wrong person. God love em for wanting to help a struggling shooter. Hearts in the right spot. There are just too many areas that are often overlooked by someone who does not do this for a living. Rollin gave you some good tips above. Needs to be hands-on to make sure the whole equation is set up and functioning properly. Find a good fitter BY REFERRAL ONLY. Dont just pick one at random. If he does his job well, you will become more coachable. Todd Nelson

5. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

jmb,

You just heard from one of the best stock fitters in the country. Country Gentleman also makes and sells one of, or THE best stock/pad adjusters available if you need to change certain stock dimensions.

Rollin

6. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

Thanks for the info. I have a thicker recoil pad that I will have put on my gun and I will try some of the other suggestions. I am thinking about getting proffessional coaching, I just need to get the money together. Do you know of any good stock fitters near western PA? Thanks, Jamie

7. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

8. country gentleman

country gentleman Member

We have 2 mobile workshops covering 30 states. 1 of them is doing a tour in Virginia right now and will be at the Va State Shoot next week. Can be contacted 256-627-8420cell. Ask for Aaron Nelson. You will find him both knowledgeable and helpful. Todd Nelson

9. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

Any others? I don't think I could make it to virginia.

10. FLIP

FLIP Member

call hin, he was at WV state shoot last year its close

11. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

I'll try calling tomorrow maybe. The WV state shoot is only about an hour away and I was planning on going anyway.Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.