1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Stock fitting question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by tbowman, Aug 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tbowman

tbowman TS Member

I plan on buying a new Kolar max ta top single combo in month or two. They offer six different stock dementions. I would like to order the best fiitng stock with the gun. I don't have a clue on how to get the right measurements.I live in california so going to see MR.Devault is not easy. Plus i will be spending part of next years shooting budget on the new gun. Thanks for any suggestions. tim

2. RAScott

RAScott Member

Tim, is it possible to go to the factory in wisconsin? or call the factory and see if the dealers that fit you, will be at any shoots. i just purchased a gun and they were realy willing to fit you. i bought a used kolar and everytime i put it up it is right there. if i was to buy a new one i believe i would go to the factory. Bob

3. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

If your going to spend this kind of money go to Kolar and let them fit you . The airport is next door to Kolar and it will be the best money spent .

ALF

4. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

You could also visit a good stock fitter who has a try-gun. A good stock fitter would be able to use the try-gun adjusted to fit you and then give you stock dimensions that could be compared to those Kolar makes available.

When fitted, you need to use the stance, gun mount and body posture that you intend using for as long as you shoot the gun.

Rollin

5. fearlessfain

fearlessfain TS Member

close your eyes, mount the gun, open your eyes and if you are looking down the rib then the gun fits. or go and spend some money with some guru gun fitter and wind up with same results.

6. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

There's a lot of great advise here Tim, and I'd heed it. If you're spending that kind of coin for a gun, you really owe it to yourself to make it to Racine Wisconsin and have the gun fitted. They are MORE than qualified and nobody knows their guns like they do.

JMHO

7. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Dear Fearlessfain

HOW DARE YOU. You will make a lot of stockfitters mad. Think about face slap, excessive felt recoil, and such. This means the stock does not fit.

All I can add to this is to put the gun on paper at 13 yards, per Neil Winston, to get a visual picture of what is going on around the bead when the arm is fired, and to verify POI.

Mount and shoot firearm on the field, and get a feel where your head, hands and eyes are on the gun. Maintain this when you bench the gun and put it on paper.

I am shamelessly using Neil's technique on anyone I train or work with. Neil probably intended this. He put it out, it works, USE IT.

8. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Go to Kolar and spend the day with Jeff Mainland being fitted ,anything else is a compromise. Jeff

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

Tim- I see three options you have. One is to order the gun and hope you get lucky. Secondly, take a trip to the factory and get it fitted correctly. The third one is to order a Precision Fit Stock for the gun.

Pat Ireland

10. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

I don't live in your shoes and I certainly am not trying to insult or abuse you tbowman. I am only going to say that Kolars and all the other high end guns are expensive. I would not buy any of them without trying one and understanding if it fits or not unless I was going to do as Mr Ireland suggested and got a PFS with it. What they really do at Kolar is start with one of their basic configurations and then modify that to the buyer. So you might end up with a #3 Modified. Either way, it is a lot of money and you want to enjoy shooting the new gun and want to improve your scores at the same time.

11. Tundra

Tundra TS Member

Well, you sure got plenty of advice, and you will probably get a lot more.

I'll tell you this, and I'll probably get a lot of crap for it. But, here I go. I bought and currently have a few Kolars. I love them. Kolar makes a great gun and I'll not be negative about Kolar in any way. The folks at Kolar have treated me well.

I got lucky with my Trap Kolar, the factory stock was almost dead on to fit me. But my skeet and sporting factory stocks were not. So, I had a custom fitting, selected my wood and was treated great. Its a nice experience to visit Kolar. However, when I got my stock after it was finished, the dimensions had changed. To make a long story short, Kolar made me a new stock.

I will however say that I am now the proud owner of 4 custom stocks for each of my Kolars. They were all made by Joe Goldberg of New Jersey, and he is working on a new stock for me now.

One issue, as I have learned, when getting fitted with a custom stock is to go and shoot targets, pattern the gun, and have a competent stock maker and fitter custom tune the wood to you and your shooting style. Then, repeat the process over and over again. The gun needs to shoot where you are looking. I'm no great shooter, just someone that love the hobby of shooting and enjoys good equipment.

Also, I have a few stocks made by Dennis Devault for some of my other shotguns. Dennis crafts an incredible stock and Cindy Devault will checker the stock to meet your tastes and desires. I have seen his Kolar work and its wonderful.

I will say that if you can meet with either Joe or Dennis you will not go wrong. Both gentlemen are true craftsmen.

I will also make this comment. The use of a rasp file, or other rough tool to make the final stock adjustments may result in the stock changing when its sanded for finishing and checkering. My custom stocks have all been dialed-in with a finish sander with very fine sandpaper, and/or a sacrifical pattern stock was used.

Best of luck.

Tundra

12. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

I hope this isn't a complete hijack, if so please let me know and I'll start a fresh thread.

I shoot a pair of unmodified factory Monte Carlo stocked 3200s. I plan to pursue informed gunfitting assistance this fall/winter. To that end, I've been thinking of getting an adjustable comb and butt plate installed on at least one to see if the adjustability will result in better scores.

I have wondered if an adjustable butt plate is installed only with adequate up/down range, will moving it have the same affect as moving an adjustable comb up/down independently assuming the butt stays in the same place on your shoulder. If not, I'd be interested in learning why.

I understand the benefit of being able to adjust the angle of the butt plate, as well as the ability to adjust cast on/off with an appropriate adjustable comb.

My question is pointed just at the ability to raise/lower the POC with equal effect with either comb, or butt plate.

Guy Babin

13. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

Go to Kolar.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.