1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Stock fit

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Aussie Phil, Apr 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aussie Phil

Aussie Phil TS Member

Hi guys

Have a few questions on stock fit as I break in my new Ljutic adjustable rib.

Firstly, to get the beads lined up left/right, I have the adjustable comb all the way over to the right (on my browning XT too). I am absolutely smoking the straight aways, but when I use the patterning board, I notice my pattern is still 1-2" slightly to the left.

Any ideas why this is happening? What am I doing that needs the comb all the way to the right? Why is my pattern still slightly left? I know this has got something to do with basic technique.

Secondly, on the weekend I put the comb and the front rib all the way down, and achieved much better hits on most of the birds, but I am now missing the hard left and right birds. I have no idea where the pattern is going, even after four rounds. Previously when I had the comb up a notch, I was hitting all the birds, but not so much of a "clay crusher".

All advice is welcome.

Phil

2. Dennis DeVault

Dennis DeVault Well-Known Member

Hi Phil,

I will attempt to give you a why. From what you are describing it seems that you are shooting a straight stock no offset. It also appears that the stock may be too long. If you place the butt stock out on the shoulder instead of in the pocket it will cause the barrel to point to the left and therefore shoot left. If the toe is not out a little to the right for a right hand shooter the toe of the stock may be digging into the bottom of your shoulder and causing you to cant the gun to the left. If you cant a higher shooting POI to the left it will shoot to the left as well. A change in the pitch may help that problem if it is an issue. It sounds like you may have several issues to address and you should review them one at a time and not all at once. Without a good fitter to help you it will lead to very poor results. If you have any questions call the shop and I will try and help if I can. The shop number is 330-456-6070 or my cell 330-936-5102. Good luck and stay with it.

Dennis DeVault

3. Aussie Phil

Aussie Phil TS Member

Thanks Dennis - appreciate the reply, and I will give you a call tomorrow.

You are correct that this is a straight stock, and I suspect that the stock is too long.

Glad to be working with educated and helpful people here

4. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I have noticed when I raise my comb I need to shorten my LOP, I have A pfs stock so this is easy to do.

5. mercedesman1981

mercedesman1981 TS Member

Dennis,

Could this explain why my gun shoots 4" to the left at 38yds while bench rested? I have a difficult time thinking just because my stock may be a little too long, I would be that far off.

Mike

6. Dennis DeVault

Dennis DeVault Well-Known Member

Mike,

If you are benching the barrel I would check the barrel. When the stock moves out on the shoulder it causes the barrel to point to the left. With out seeing what you are doing it is just an educated guess. Some manufacturers have a barrel tolorance of 8" left to right on a pattern and the gun will pass inspection and be sold. The problem that Phil is having is not related to your problem with the barrel.

Dennis

Dennis

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.