1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Stock fit

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Johnpic, Jun 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Johnpic

Johnpic Member

The stock on my Perazzi that I am shooting has a slight right hand cast but in
    order for me to get the proper eye to bead alignment I must move the comb all the way in or to the left.I'm a right hand shooter with a longish neck.

I would like to replace my stock with a new Wenig American style stock that comes with a 1/4" offset comb. Would a stock with a offset comb be an advantage or disadvantage for me?

Thanks, John

2. RonC

RonC TS Member

John, I also have problems getting the comb over far enough to line up the beads.
    The problem is that my eyes are set fairly close together. I need an adjustable comb and move it over to the point where I often feel the ridge on the stock which I ignore. I have done the final finish of 3 Wenig stocks for my Beretta 600 series (90% inlet not finished). The design is good but may not be any better than an adjustable comb for you. Even with an adjustable comb on my
    Wenig stocks I still have to move the comb over a fair amount. If you get a chance to read Rolland Oswald's manual on stock fitting you will see that how you stand, the position of your shoulder pocket, and a whole host of other things are going to affect the shape of the stock you need. Having said this, I read a book on shotgunning once that said stock fit was over rated; lots of people can hit targets without shouldering the gun. What they do is clearly see the target in detail and they can point it; you can do it as well, look at something and point at it without a gun, chances are you are on the point. What I do in practice is based on a guy from the UK, Churchill. First forget the beads for a moment. I shoot 3 rounds from a full choke at 16 yds never looking at the beads but staring hard at the small bulls eye. To move the center of your pattern 1" you have to move your stock 1/16" in the direction you want to move the pattern. That will center you. Next find a bunch of old Phil Kiner articles about comb height. The short version is if your big chips go down you are high, if up you are low and you have to raise your comb. Never mind how high, just look at the target as you always do, don't change a thing, keep going up until your chips on average fly in all directions i.e. they star. When ever I have scored a round for most shooters on a low/high/center basis most raise their comb. Then pull out your center bead and forget how much rib you see.

Good Luck

Ron

3. Johnpic

Johnpic Member

Thanks, Ron

I'll try all that you have mentioned.I still want to put a nicer looking stock
    on my gun so I may still get the Wenig or a nice Perazzi stock and just keep
    the comb adjusted to the left.

John

4. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

John,

Wenig's New American stock has the comb offset to the outside - to the right on a right-handed stock. If you have to move the comb to the left on your cast-off Perazi stock, I don't think you would benefit from a stock that has the whole comb offset to the right. It would have a similar effect as your cast off Perazzi stock (unless I am missing something).

If you like, call me at (920) 464-0124 to discuss things or use my email address above.

Rollin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

stock fit for trap shooters